New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New guy in town looking for some guidance please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy in town looking for some guidance please

Hey fellas I am kinda a new member here from Phoenix Arizona, for the past few weeks I have been looking around the site reading up on riding tips and other types of threads to help me get started.

Anyways the reason why I am asking for guidance is because I am looking into getting a bike but this well be my 1st one. Yes I know I should not start with a 600 or anything above that, but a couple of my boys back home had 600's and I would ride them around the block a few times. Not saying I am a good rider or anything but I have had some riding time lol.

So here is the thing if I get a bike it will be my only transportation to go to work and to school which is a good 20 miles away. So my 1st question is what is it like to have a bike as a daily transportation and how is it coming from a car? Also I have been reading where the 600's have a very aggressive riding style, would a 20+ mile ride kill me on a daily basic or will my body get use to it. And lastly I am about 5'7 and 170lb can some one tell me a good year I should be looking at that will not kill my pockets..only have about a good 4k to spend.

Thanks for anyone that can help and getting this guy on a CBR and apart of the family.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 PM

The RR is more aggressive than the F4i, but I don't think it is tremendously so. How long does the 20 mile commute take? That would make the difference. Either way i'm sure you would be fine. I've done 3 hours on the bike without too much discomfort.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM

thank you for the response.. as for the 20 mile trip.. maybe a good 30 minutes depending on traffic. I could either take the highway all the way but since it would be learning the bike I would just take the streets.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

f4i would be a bit more comfy. also - I know the banana seats aren't everyone's favorite, but allow a bit more in the terms of storage.

Biggest issue with the bike being your daily driver is when you do need to carry something.

Either a tail bag, or saddlebags would help. You will always need to carry weather gear and what not to deal with the random rain.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Welcome and good luck with your bike hunt.. as Nate said the RR (Race Replica) is a slightly more aggressive riding stance than the F4i.
Make sure you check out the riding skills section. You'll get some good info there on riding like not putting all your weight on your wrists by hugging the tank with your legs. Things like that help alot for 1st time riders.

You'll be sore for a while but it gets better.

I would also suggest when looking into your 1st bike and only transportation to take a bud with you to look it over good. Have your riding bud take it for a test ride.Some sellers want cash in hand for test rides so if you drop it,you bought it.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

welcome to CBRF

Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
f4i would be a bit more comfy. also - I know the banana seats aren't everyone's favorite, but allow a bit more in the terms of storage.

Biggest issue with the bike being your daily driver is when you do need to carry something.

Either a tail bag, or saddlebags would help. You will always need to carry weather gear and what not to deal with the random rain.
Yeah I have been looking at some f4i's and to be honest they are not my style. I feel like if I am going to buy something big that is going to be mine for a few years might as well get something I well enjoy looking at every day.

But I do understand what you are saying about needing to carry things sometimes. Thanks you for response

Originally Posted by wrath
Welcome and good luck with your bike hunt.. as Nate said the RR (Race Replica) is a slightly more aggressive riding stance than the F4i.
Make sure you check out the riding skills section. You'll get some good info there on riding like not putting all your weight on your wrists by hugging the tank with your legs. Things like that help alot for 1st time riders.

You'll be sore for a while but it gets better.

I would also suggest when looking into your 1st bike and only transportation to take a bud with you to look it over good. Have your riding bud take it for a test ride.Some sellers want cash in hand for test rides so if you drop it,you bought it.
Yeah I have been reading about not having all your weight on your wrists.. I was looking into tank grips, do they help out a lot or are they more for show?

Also can someone tell me how many miles is too many miles for a used bike?
example: 04 cbr 600 with 25,xxx is that too high of miles or is that good? Coming from a car that sounds good but than again I do not know much please help with this.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM

Coming from what I've read Tank Grips keep your legs from moving when your in the lean so their popular with the experienced riders and at the track.. I'm no expert on this.

And no thats not high miles for an 04.. if taken care of these honda's will run forever. We've got a member here with an F4i with over 200k. I would say thats a normal average for that year. (it's been rode)

Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM

What do you mean that the F4i is not your style? The '01 to '03 looks a lot like any RR (race replica). It has the split seat and was Honda's race bike for a while. The biggest difference in the F4i to the RR is the ergonomics of the sitting position. It may be slightly more comfortable on the F4i. Also, against most 600 bikes...it will still keep up farily well. Granted your newer bikes are probably pushing 5-10 more Hp. Personally, I drive an 01 F4i and LOVE IT. It's comfortable but yet just as sporty and powerful.

And Welcome to CBRF! Glad you have joined us and Good luck looking for a bike!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 PM

i just switched from a suzuki katana to a 2007 cbr 600rr and the power diff is redic, the riding style is way more aggressive but its still a very comfortable bike, i drive mine as much as possible, and even made a 3hr trip to central IN on it with no issues, and rode back home the next morning, with no comfort issues, 20 miles isnt gonna be a problem on any bike i would think. If you've never ridden a bike before id go or something a little less aggressive as far as riding position goes, it changes a lot in means of cornering and leaning...all in all only you can decide what u want the most tho, i say find what u like and just go all out man.

Quick Reply: New guy in town looking for some guidance please