General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main headlight won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main headlight won't work!

I have a 2001 Honda CBR 929RR, and a couple days ago my one middle main headlight bulb decided to stop working, along with the other two high-beam bulbs. I've checked the fuse under the seat, and it's good. All three headlight bulbs are good, as well as the connectors onto the bulbs.

In attempting to trouble shoot, I took off the headlight relay (which I assume is for switching on the 2 high-beam bulbs, since the one middle main headlight is always on), and just bypassed a couple of the terminals connected by this relay, and found that the two high-beams (only) would work when doing this. So I know juice is getting up there somewhere, just not to the main bulb. I figured it was a faulty relay. But picked up a new relay, installed, and it's the same problem.

Using a volt meter, I've verified juice is getting from the fusebox up to the main large wiring harness under the front right side cowl, and checked connectivity of various wires up there, but it gets a little confusing. They all start running together in series, and the headlight wires seem to tie-in with the front turn signals. Not sure if these are the "ground" connections for each one or what. And there are about 25 different wires that come into and out of that main wire harness going to everything. All of which work except for the main headlight. There are no other electical problems on the bike except for this.

I have a feeling it's something very simple that I've overlooked. Anyone have any ideas before I spend hours connecting and reconnecting every wire combination imaginable? Or possibly where to find a specific wiring diagram. I have the shop manual, and it's of no help specifically for tracking down this wiring issue...

Thanks in advance!

Ivan

Old 07-28-2009, 06:10 PM

open ur hi/low switch and make sure its all good inside, sounds retarded but i had the same issue on a r1 b4 an the wire inside jus came undone sumhow, jus had to resolder it and fixed.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:30 PM

I like the HI/ LO switch idea. Otherwise trace backwards from the headlight toward the battery looking for 12V+. I've found that electrical problems take time. Green has been ground in all my Honda bikes since the 60's.
I would suggest the Honda shop manual. The one for my F3 has wiring diagrams for all F3's.
Good Luck!
mikey

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey49
I like the HI/ LO switch idea. Otherwise trace backwards from the headlight toward the battery looking for 12V+. I've found that electrical problems take time. Green has been ground in all my Honda bikes since the 60's.
I would suggest the Honda shop manual. The one for my F3 has wiring diagrams for all F3's.
Good Luck!
mikey
+1 I got the Haynes manual for my F3. After figuring out I was looking at the wrong wiring schematic (downside: the Haynes repair manual is the worst organized book I've ever read), fixing both the fast blink and no lf turn signal was simple...ish

Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks guys! It actually turned out to be a ground wire that became unsoldered up by the starter switch on the other handlebar. The headlight wiring runs thru there to cutout the headlight while starting.

Found the solution from a former chat posted years ago on this site. Great site!!

Thanks again!

Ivan