General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cbr600rr

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbr600rr

Greetings Guys,

I am a total newb and is currently in a bad position. I dropped my bike and it wouldnt start afterward. I brought it to the dealer and they pulled it into a diagnostic system which tells them BAS and CKP sensors are shot. Could this happened from just dropping a bike? Or is this a more serious problem?

Bike is completely stock and ran fine beforehand.

Last edited by l0stnyc; 07-04-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how bad was the drop

Old 07-04-2009, 09:26 AM

Dropped while pushing it up the driveway. On the right side. Hard enough to put a few good scratched on the fairings and crank case cover.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 AM

anything is possible, but its uncommon for such a light fall to cause those issues. But again,anything can happen.

Have you disconnected your battery and let if off for a minute or two? Sometimes, if the bas sensor trips from the bike being tipped over, unhooking the battery will reset it if it doesnt reset on its own. Ive never heard of a bas sensor going bad from a light fall. It usually takes a fairly significant impact to ruin them.

As for the crank position sensor, that really shouldn't have been affected either. If memory serves me right, the bas sensor shuts power to the cps, and the fuel pump. So, in my mind, if the bas didnt reset or is bad, it will show no power to the fuel pump or the cps.

Does the fuel pump cycle when you turn on your key? If it does, your bas is not faulty. If it doesnt, then the bas is not working for what ever reason.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the response. According to the dealership they pulled the battery out and charged it and then put it back in because it was weak in power. They also told me there is no power to the spark plugs and no power to the fuel pump. Diagnosis machine told them both sensors are out and they cant go further until both the BAS and CPS are replaced.

They are going to try new BAS and CPS next week but I also am quite surprised that both went out. Could a short somewhere cause them to go out?

I am going to see if replacing those will start the bike. But I am just concerned whether or not my drop broke them both or there is more serious problems with the bike.

Thanks.

Last edited by l0stnyc; 07-04-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:35 PM

Update - Dealer says my ECU is gone and a new one is needed.

How is this possible? I am so pissed right now and at a lost for words right now.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 PM

This is about the time I would begin to wonder if the dealership is telling you the truth or just trying to get your money...

Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 AM

I would just change the BAS and see if that does the trick. I got $20 bucks as long as you didn't use jumper cables to start your bike your ecu is good. If it were me I would jump the BAS and see what that does.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 AM

I would also stop going to the dealer.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Todd84
I would also stop going to the dealer.
+1,000,000

Honestly, as soon as they told me both sensors were out (which seems like a low probability) I would have taken the bike home and started to tool on it myself. At this point it seems highly suspicious as to whether they may be just taking you for a sucker. I'm not saying they are, but frankly you're putting a lot of trust in people to do the minimum to get your bike in working order when they stand to make a lot of money off of you if they desire...

Quick Reply: Cbr600rr