CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Help! 1987 Hurricane Headlight won't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help! 1987 Hurricane Headlight won't work

Forgive me if I'm going about asking this question in the wrong area. My headlight won't work. It comes on sometimes and then goes out. Most of the time won't come on at all. The plug is getting power but only .12 volts? I'm completely ignorant to this kind of thing. I've been told it could be the relay, but where is it? I found the starter relay, is that it? Any help would be much appreciated as I am actually fixing this for my Dad. I would love the bike but I only weigh 115lbs. Lol. Please help! Thanks!

Old 07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

My light sometime goes out if the start button is pressed in. If I use my thumb and kinda flick it back out my head light will come on. Since you say your head light sometimes work it might be the start button. Also if it is pressed in the starter is still turning over (engaged). Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't tell you exactly where the relay is because I've never had an issue with one. I suppose you could just trace the wires and find it.
However, I think there should be two of them?? One should be for lo beam and one for high (both bulbs) so either high or low beams should work. Two relays are not likely to go at the same time?? Just shooting from the hip on that one.

I would suspect the headlight dimmer switch (or just the headlight fuse).
The dimmer switch (hi/lo beam switch) is a known problem and will cause neither headlamp to work when it's messed up (stuck between). Try flicking it back and forth a bunch of times and push hard on it and see if the light comes on.
It may not be the problem, but I've experienced this issue firsthand.
It's slightly unnerving when cruising along at night and you flip to high beams and lose all your lights.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 PM

My $$ is on a fuse. Pop the fuse cover off and have a look at the plan. Pull the fuses and inspect them for corrosion. Fine sand paper and some WD40. Also just trace the wires and inspect the connections for anything dodgy. Just put the lights on and start shaking and tapping around the place. Next I'd try the same treatment on the switchgear. Let us know what happens.

BTW. As far as I know you're in the right place to ask away

Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Banned

im gonna place my money on the starter switch..ive had this happen with nearly all my bikes ive had (always older bikes) some playing with the starter switch should get it to be intermittent on demand (if that makes sense lol)

i actually just bought new switches for both my right and left from honda...approximately 200 bucks for both, but i wont have those issues, and they sure do look hella good!

Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe wiring - could be a corroded earth or something..........

Old 07-20-2010, 12:52 PM

Ah ha! It was the starter switch! So simple. Thanks everyone for your advice! Now, does anyone know why the bike makes a constant rattly chattering noise?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Talking

Mine started doing that when I did the Tenn. trip. The others kept telling me my headlight was out.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:41 PM

oh on the rattle you will need to do a Video or something. Just so we know where it is coming from.

Does your rattle only do it at start up till it gets warm and then go away???

Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM

Well, I just gave the bike back last night so no video. The noise is constant though.

Quick Reply: Help! 1987 Hurricane Headlight won't work