General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic drain plug a waste?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnetic drain plug a waste?

I see the magnetic drain plug flashing on the side of the page.To Me it seems like a big scam considering most of My engine is aluminum.The only metal I see it catching would be piston rods or gears.Which if thats the case bike is most likely dead to begin with.Just something that crossed my mind.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Magnetic drain plug a waste?

whats to scam for $8? there was another thread talking about peeps who use them in cars and some manufacturers even put them in new vehicles. im not mechanically inclined enough to say it wouldnt, but i dont think it would.

Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If nothing else it would clue you in to things wearing too rapidly. And any metal it does catch isn't circulating through the gears, bearings and clutch. That should help a little. But you are correct. It isn't going to prevent major damage.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:21 PM

If they sell 50k at $8 a piece thats a big scam.Im just saying considering aluminum isnt magnetic and our engines are 90% aluminum it seems like they arent worth it cause odds are if you do find metal stuck to that drain plug your engine is probably dead anyways.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Randy91CBR600F2

our engines are 90% aluminum
True but what are piston rings,cylinder sleeves and such made of ?
Next time think , then speak.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any time you miss a shift you get tiny fragments of shift fork and gears. Rings and sleeves wear. Some of my other bikes and most of my cars have come stock with a magnetic oil plug. So I don't think it's a scam -- seems prudent for $8 to get one.

And before you say scam about one of our sponsors ... go to the dealership and ask 'em how much for just a replacement stock oil plug. Now that's a scam[:@]

Old 05-11-2006, 09:33 PM

I did say 90% didnt I ??? Busted piston ring is going to result in engine smoking and loss of HP.Same with cylinder sleeve.I have My opinion just like You have yours no reason to get hostile over it.Pretty sure You have to be 18 to ride a bike.Should be the same for this forum.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:40 PM

Randy,

Yes, most of the engine is aluminum, but it is the case. All moving parts are ferrous metal (attracted to magnet) or brass bushings (non-ferrous). OK, the brass bushings will not be caught by the magnet, but they are still only a small amount of the moving metal.

The biggest items that wear, the piston rings and cylinder wall are ferrous. All your gears in the tranny are ferrous. The piston rods are ferrous, but are not wearing because of the brass bushing. The list goes on.

If this was a scam we would charge A LOT more for these drain plugs, make our money fast, and get out. We prefer to make our customers happy and stay in business as a respectable company. I mentioned on another forum that this was not our idea. Magnetic drain plugs have been around since the 30's. They are endorsed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE-Think all car mechanics), they are used in high end cars, the military uses them, aircraft use them, some bike makers, ect. Many of these stock magnetic drain plugs are a weak attempt at protecting the engine as the barely have any magnetic pull. Case in point - Suzuki uses a magnetic drain plug in most of their new bikes. This magnet cannot hold the weight of the drain plug if hung from a piece of metal. We designed our drain plugs with the strongest magnets around to catch and hold on to the particles the stock drain plugs cannot.

I have found that many people have never heard of magnetic engine oil drain plugs. I had the same reaction when I first heard of them. Trust me, they are not a scam, they are a good idea. I use them in every motorized vehicle I have and would never own a car without one.

Tim

Old 05-11-2006, 10:00 PM

Thanks Tim thats the explanation I was looking for.As You read in My first post I said "seems like a big scam" as I was un-educated at the time.

Thanks Again,
Randy

Old 05-11-2006, 11:01 PM

I did say 90% didnt I ??? Busted piston ring is going to result in engine smoking and loss of HP.Same with cylinder sleeve.I have My opinion just like You have yours no reason to get hostile over it.Pretty sure You have to be 18 to ride a bike.Should be the same for this forum.

I have My opinion just like You have yours no reason to get hostile over it.
Not hostile , just stating fact.