General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED taillight problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Retired Mod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED taillight problem

i have a problem that hopefully someone will be able to help me out with.

i recently purchased a stock replacement clear LED taillight for my 2000 929 from clear alternatives. this is not an integrated tailight. it is exactly the same size as the stock unit with 2 plugs (also like the stocker.) the instructions are only for assembly and stated that there was no wiring modifications needed.

the first issue was with the two plugs. the stock plug-ins on the bike are for round bulbs. the plugs that are attached to the LED board are thin and flat. i tried them and they plug in and turn like the stock bulbs do. i turned the ignition on and only one side was lit up and it did nothing when i applied the brakes. so i played with the one that was out (right plug) and blew the fuse. i changed the fuse and once again messed with the side that was not lit up with the power turned off. i turned the ignition on again and absolutely nothing happened. no lights on either side.

the fuse is good (i checked it again.) that same fuse runs the instrument lighting and it comes on. so no fuse issue. the battery is fully charged (no low power issue.) it cannot be the main fuse because the headlight, gauges, and fuel pump comes on when i turn the key.

any suggestions on what to do or what to check next? has anyone else tried this LED taillight swap and had similar results or had everything work perfectly? there is the possibility that i received a bad unit from clear alternatives, but i want to try everything before i send them the taillight back for exchange.

Old 12-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Retired Mod
Default RE: LED taillight problem

ok, so i came up with an idea of my own while writing my original post. i plugs the stock bulbs back into the plug-ins and see what they do. they came on but they did not get brighter when i hit the brakes. so i think the problem is with the bike and not with the new taillight. i am now questioning the battery and its power output. i charged it about a month ago but it was sluggish when i tried to start it. i currently have it on the charger and thinking that if the battery does not fix the problem, there may be a relay issue (are there relays? is so, where are they located and how do i check them.) the stop lights have a separate fuse and it too is good.

hopefully someone can help.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:09 PM

I wouldn`t think brake lights needed relays...... I`m wondering if your brake light switches have power going to them. I think even with a battery that is so dead it can`t start the bike, it still has enough juice to power the lights a bit.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Retired Mod

yes, it had enough power to turn on the lights. the battery is now charged enough to elimate that as an issue. i also was wrong in stating that the stop light fuse was good. the top of the fuse box says that the same fuse is used on the stop, turn, and horn. the horn worked (???) but the turn and stop didn't. i changed the fuse (possible corrosion. element not broken) and everything works with the stock bulbs. but still nothing with the new LED taillight. i did find some interesting facts though when i called my buddy at the local dealer. he looked up the tail/brake light wiring schematic and found that different plugs were used on the 929. some used the round push and turn style and some used the thin, flat push in type (which is what the new taillight is set up for. mine has the round push and turn style plugs. it seems that the taillight will not work with my current plugs. i called clear alternatives and expained this to them and they said "they guarantee that their universal plug-ins will work with both style plugs." they do push in and turn, but it seems that they are not making contact with the plug base. clear alternatives is full of crap, it won't work. my options now are change the plugs to the thin, flat slide in style or go back to the stock taillight.

by the way, anyone know if they make plug adapters? that way i dont have to cut and splice new plugs.