General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

laid down bike how to fix scratches / paint on fairing and engine case

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default laid down bike how to fix scratches / paint on fairing and engine case

hey guys laid down my bike last saturday. (pic below) any suggestions on how to fix the scratches / scuffs on the fairing?

Also what about the engine case? I have searched on here and found a pretty old thread for sanding and repainting the whole engine case to fix that but if anyone else has had to do this recently I would love to hear how you went about fixing it. thanks.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1303873317

Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by cbrtx
hey guys laid down my bike last saturday. (pic below) any suggestions on how to fix the scratches / scuffs on the fairing?

Also what about the engine case? I have searched on here and found a pretty old thread for sanding and repainting the whole engine case to fix that but if anyone else has had to do this recently I would love to hear how you went about fixing it. thanks.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1303873317
I actually just bought a bike and since I'm a neat freak, I also scrounged around all the pieces for a second set of used fairings as a back up that was pretty much all scuffed up or damaged.

number 1 thing is patience.

I tried being lazy with 60 grit sand paper, NOT A GOOD IDEA, you'll leave deep scratches, I stick to 220 grit sand paper now, sand the entire fairing to get the shine off the fairings, this will help prep for the primer.

If you think you got it all taken care of, go over it again atleast 3 more times, we typically took about 30-40 minutes for 1 piece to be on the safe side. (it'll **** you off later if your not through)

It's long and time consuming at first, but second apply bondo mixed with a small amount of hardner (about $10 a small bottle from wal-mart is all you need) you can also find videos to help you learn how to use bondo.

apply a good clean amount, don't over do it, just use as much as you need, allow it to dry (depending how much hardner you used anywhere from 10-40 minutes usually) let it dry all the way, sand it down smooth as you can.

spray primer evenly and cleanly, I found rust oleum works good for me personally, I use a gray primer, and allow it to dry for atleast 10-15minutes, then you should be easier to see if there was any imperfections in the bondo process, if there was sand and re apply til it's smooth (or depending on how **** you are about perfection) when your happy with the product, primer, paint, clear, sand

decent jobs can be done with rattle cans, but it's recommended to get a professional spray guns, if you search for a good compressor (bigger the better) on craigslist we found a 20 gallon for $100 and 2 paint guns for $50 each at harber frieght that were pretty decent. but on a budget exspect to spend atleast $15-20 (3-4 cans) per fairing just incase, and atleast 3-4 12x12 sheets of sand paper for each fairing, oh and put on some relaxing music like trance mainly cause it's a long and painful process to do yourself, and if anything goes wrong rap will just **** you off more.

When allowing stuff to dry, try to find things to keep you occupied like a tv show marathon (anime works for me)

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM

thanks for the response, I'll def. do that and let you know how it goes.