General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed some LED headlights and...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed some LED headlights and...

Hello all. First off, I'm new to the forum and new to riding. I have a 1996 cbr 1000f. I recently installed led headlights. I have dual headlights so I installed 2. When I installed them I didn't realize they were hi beam/low beam. Now there is no way to turn headlights off. My bike doesn't have a switch to change from low to high beam. Just on and off. When I turn the headlight switch to off they are the low beam. When I turn it to on they are high beam. Only way to turn the lights off is to turn the bike off. I guess it's not a huge deal but just wondering if there is a work around. Thanks for reading and thanks for having me.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi welcome to the forum,

Old 03-28-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BikeLyf3
Hello all. First off, I'm new to the forum and new to riding. I have a 1996 cbr 1000f. I recently installed led headlights. I have dual headlights so I installed 2. When I installed them I didn't realize they were hi beam/low beam. Now there is no way to turn headlights off. My bike doesn't have a switch to change from low to high beam. Just on and off. When I turn the headlight switch to off they are the low beam. When I turn it to on they are high beam. Only way to turn the lights off is to turn the bike off. I guess it's not a huge deal but just wondering if there is a work around. Thanks for reading and thanks for having me.
Is it a big problem, as my 954 automatically turned on headlights with Ignition on, saves you forgetting

Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Is it a big problem, as my 954 automatically turned on headlights with Ignition on, saves you forgetting
Not really a big problem. Just wondering if there was a workaround. With the stock headlights I could turn my switch off and they'd go off but not off is just low beam. I guess it's really not important. Like I said, I am new to riding so I won't be riding at night anytime soon anyway

Old 03-28-2019, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Not really a big problem. Just wondering if there was a workaround. With the stock headlights I could turn my switch off and they'd go off but not off is just low beam. I guess it's really not important. Like I said, I am new to riding so I won't be riding at night anytime soon anyway
Hi wasn't thinking about night time riding , here in UK riders have headlights on in the daylight , to be seen and safe, mind you that doesn't always work

Old 04-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My bike doesn't have a switch to change from low to high beam. Just on and off. When I turn the headlight switch to off they are the low beam. When I turn it to on they are high beam. Only way to turn the lights off is to turn the bike off.
Where is this switch you are talking about? If it's on the left side bars, it's the dimmer switch and not an on/off switch. Your bike SHOULD have day time running light. Lights should be on when running to be seen. Sounds like things are working the way they should.

Thanks for reading and thanks for having me.
Welcome to the forum!

Old 04-03-2019, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
Where is this switch you are talking about? If it's on the left side bars, it's the dimmer switch and not an on/off switch. Your bike SHOULD have day time running light. Lights should be on when running to be seen. Sounds like things are working the way they should.
Yes it is on the left side handlebar above the blinker. However, I think my bike is pre-dot regulations. Meaning I think it was before they mandated drl's. Because with the stock bulbs i could actually turn them on and off. I didn't have high beams.