F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

please help me with my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help me with my headlights

Whats up, i just got this 1993 f2 and when start the bike the headlights are off. Now when i turn the high beams on, both the low beam and high beam turn on. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out hot to fix this because i am taking the bike to the shop to get inspected and i dont know if that will pass or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails please help me with my headlights-img_0149.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 AM

random guess, check the switch, take appart the handle and see what the insides of the switch look like.
if it is indeed the switch, you might be able to fix it with a dab of sodder.
otherwise may have to find a new one or god forbid, jerry rig it

Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

with a streetfighter build like that- I'd be willing to guess its just a wiring issue. Sounds like nothing is hooked up to the low beam, and the high beam is wired into both lights on your aftermarket lamp.

Motorcycle headlights typically are always on when the ignition is on whether the switch is on low beam or high beam setting, so I'd say nothings hooked up to the low beam wiring.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 PM

so how do i wire it so i can use low beam and high beam with the selector switch

Old 03-25-2011, 01:01 PM

coming out of the Left h-bar switch is a bundle of wires that handle the turns/horn/lo-hibeams. follow that bundle to the connector - In that bundle there will be a white wire and a blue wire.

White = Lo-beam 12v+
Blue = Hi-beam 12v+
Green = ground on this bike (and all Hondas I've ever worked on)

That wiring runs from that connector to the headlight bulb. The white wire only goes to the stock bulb, the blue wire goes to the bulb and splits off to your gauge cluster to light up the hi-beam indicator.

Sounds like with your aftermarket light you don't ave the white wire connected to anything, and both lights tied to the highbeam feed.

I don't know what the wiring is like on your aftermarket lights - how many wires wa it and did the installation instructions have info or a diagram on how to hook it up for lo-beam/hi-beam operation? If it is a dual-light setup, is one brighter than the other?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:19 PM

ok cool. this was exactly the response i was waiting for. the only thing is i cant even get the tank off because i cant figure out how to take this cbr 600rr tail off. it looks a little tricky.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:37 PM

no worries - I was thinking about this a little bit - if your dual headlight front end only has 2 wires to each light, then you might need a relay to make only one work on lo-beam and both work on high. Lemme know when you're getting to working on it and I'll walk u through what needs to be wired to where.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:15 PM

T0hanks man i took your advice and wired the high beam bulb positive to that blue wire and it works now. The only thing is whe i turn the high beams on it just switches from low to high. Are both lights supposed to be on for high beam? By the way i got the tail section off it was pretty much just ziptied to the subframe.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 PM

No - most cars run a separate filament or separate bulb for lo bean or high beam - usually Highs are 55w and lows are 35w.

now if you wanted your low to remain on whenever you turned on the high - that is possible, just need to wire up a relay to make it happen.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered Users

Have a bit of a problem with the headlights as well, at the front i have 4wires instead of 3, the previous owner must have spliced the wires in and went too far back, but its not too bad since theres 2 blue, a white and green, im sure the 2 blue make one wire, so thats not the problem. Problem is im getting very low power to the headlight when turned on, only about half a volt. Question is, are there any other switches between the left handlebar switch and the battery? (I'm not getting any voltage at left handlebar switch, and the fuse is fine but im not getting any power across the fuse port either, not sure if its supposed to or not, im more on the mechanical side, not electrical)

Quick Reply: please help me with my headlights