General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problem

Hi. Problem with my CBR 600FY. I have electrical power (lights etc) but absolutely nothing happening when I press starter switch. I've checked fuse and the kill switch is not engaged.

I have just put exhaust downpipes back on so entirely possible IVe messed something up (I'm a reluctant and inexperienced DIY mechanic forced into it by poverty...)

It did start once. Then cut out again. No nothing again.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:48 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

In gear with kickstand down?

Retrace your steps. It worked before, right?

Old 07-26-2014, 08:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vote 1 for stuck/disconnected sidestand kill switch. Are you in neutral gear?

Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Registered Users

Update. It decided to start. Hurrah!

I turned the kill switch on and off several times. Seemed to be making a quiet clunky sound(?). Now is starting ok.

Cheers.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a contact failure in the switch. I have that too and therefore never use it, always shut down straight from the ignition lock.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered Users

This could be similar to a problem I had yesterday, but wanted to see what others thought. I turn off the kill switch AND ignition every time. I turned the ignition on, then the kill switch on, hit the start button and everything went dead. No lights, no nothing. Checked all fuses, removed and put battery back, nothing. Friend helped get the bike back home, and he mentioned that sometimes the kill switch causes problems. So, at home, I started playing with the ignition, kill switch, start button, clutch & side stand. At some point, the lights came on. I hit the start button, and voila, bike started right up.

Now, since then, I have tried different combinations to try to get the thing to stop working, but it works every single time. I am not sure where to start, must be a loose connection in the kill switch assembly or maybe the ignition. I want to fix it so I don't get stranded somewhere. Suggestions?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by rnareppa
This could be similar to a problem I had yesterday, but wanted to see what others thought. I turn off the kill switch AND ignition every time. I turned the ignition on, then the kill switch on, hit the start button and everything went dead. No lights, no nothing. Checked all fuses, removed and put battery back, nothing. Friend helped get the bike back home, and he mentioned that sometimes the kill switch causes problems. So, at home, I started playing with the ignition, kill switch, start button, clutch & side stand. At some point, the lights came on. I hit the start button, and voila, bike started right up.

Now, since then, I have tried different combinations to try to get the thing to stop working, but it works every single time. I am not sure where to start, must be a loose connection in the kill switch assembly or maybe the ignition. I want to fix it so I don't get stranded somewhere. Suggestions?
At this point I think it's going to be hard to fix something that's not broke. One of the keys to troubleshooting is knowing what is supposed to happen and under what circumstances. Make a note now of how things operate when they're working right. Like what happens when you have the key turned on, the bike in neutral, side stand down, and the kill switch in the off position ? (I know it doesn't start) but observe the bike closely when you hit the starter button. What does the headlight do ? How about the gauge cluster lights? Any noises like relay clicks ? If so, from where? Then try another option, like with it in gear. Try all different options so you're familiar with what is "supposed" to happen. Then, when something doesn't work later on, you can match those symptoms with ones you've observed before.