General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to paint and clear coat vinyl decals

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to paint and clear coat vinyl decals

I am planning to paint my 93 honda cbr fairings with semi gloss black and then apply these white tribal vinyl decals.I want them to be as close to what the factory ones on the gas tank are, how they are clear coated into paint. How is this possible and still get a barely glossy finish? Happen to know in some quick steps the process that needs to be done and materials? Thank you for any help that can be provided, this is appreciated so much.
:icon _speaker1::icon_spea ker1:

Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may like to visit the new member section, and introduce yourself. I moved your thread as it was in the wrong place. How To is for answers, not questions...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to your local auto body supply store. tell them what your plans are and they will be able to tell what you will need and how to prep it all specific to the paint system you are using. and welcome i have a 93 also its being preped for paint right now. going with hok lake violet with some yet to be decided graffix then over with burple candy by hok.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your going to have to use a basecoat clearcoat sytem. Use a base black overall. Once its dry, place the decals on. Use a paint prep quality wax and grease remover to remove any contaminants, then you can use a quality urethane clear to overall the entire bike at once. Just don't let the base coat set for more than 48 hours, or you will either have to respray, or wet sand it with 600-800 grit to get the clear to stick.

The clear coat you want to use is going to have a flatening agent in it. You can either buy your own and mix it yourself, or you can have the paint shop mix it. If your not familiar with percentages of sheen, tell them you want a 20 percent gloss. that should give you a very nice satin look. You go completely can flat too if you want, but its up to your personal preference and how glossy you want it.

Your going to want to use three coats of clear at a minimum. otherwise your going to feel the decal under the clear.

Also, if you don't have access to a spray gun or compressor, Most paint shops can mix your color and clear into aresol cans.

Last edited by justasquid; 01-20-2010 at 09:10 AM.