General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump issue!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump issue!!!!

I am having trouble getting power to my fuel pump. i hooked the pump up to a constant, and it turned on but i have no power to the point that the pump plugs into the wiring harness... When i turn the key on with the pump plugged in, the relay in the back of the bike (furthest one back above the passenger foot pegs) and pump click like mad forever... when i turn the key on with the pump disconnected, the relay will click once when the FI light comes on then once when the FI light turns off then won't click anymore.

So could i have a bad ECU? A wire short? Bad Relay?
Any Ideas? any help would be awesome... thanks

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I was having the same issue. It turned out to be a bad connection for the kill switch where in plugs into the front harness. I would follow the kill switch wire to where it plugs into the harness and check to see if it is lose or any corroded terminals. Put some dielectric grease on it when you plug it back together and see if that fixes it.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:38 PM

When you first turn the key on the relay should click once, and about 3 seconds later, click again. It's turning on and off to prime the fuel system before running. If you just leave the key on with out starting it, it won't run again until the next key on/off transition. Sounds like when the fuel pump is plugged in it's making the relay contacts chatter. This would be caused by a poor connection on the signal side of the fuel pump relay. As stated above, the fuel pump and relay wiring does run through the kill switch. Start by checking that harness, and any others related to that system and check all grounds.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Default Update

An Update...

I pulled the relay and jumped the brown and black/white wires together.
the fuel pump then comes online with the key on.

so does that mean i have a bad relay? i tried switching the 2 relays (at the back of the bike above the right passengers foot peg) and i get the same result- clicking relay and fuel pump.

also when i jumped the 2 wires and got the fuel pump to turn on, the bike still won't start. it cranks over just fine but will not start.

I can't find any problems with the wires or grounds.

any other ideas?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 AM

It should start. This makes me lean even more to the killswtch being the problem. Could have ignition problems too. I would take apart the killswitch assembly and inspect it closely along with everything else along that line.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Your bike sounds like it is doing the same thing mine did. My fuel pump wouldn't prime. Then when I hard wired the pump it did prime but would not fire. Turned out to be the kill switch so check that. Hope that fixes it.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 AM

alright i am baffled. i cannot find anything wrong with the kill switch. i pulled the spark plugs and tested them and they all worked fine. i put the plugs back in and put some fuel in each of the cyliders and then i turned it over... nothing. i even tried starting fluid and still nothing. i don't get it, i have spark, and i gave it fuel why on earth will it not start?

could the ecu be pulling timing so much that it won't even start? i can't imagine having no compression since i rode it last month and just let it sit and now it won't start. i would check the compression but i don't have a tester that will fit into the small spark plug holes.

anyone have any other options?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Your going to have to dig into it more. You need to verify that fuel is actually getting to the injectors and at the right pressure. Need to verify that the injectors are pulsing. Need to verify that spark is getting to the plug at the right time. You have a manual? It will show you how to do all of that. You will need a decent multi-meter with peak capabilty. Should at least check that fuel is getting up to the rail, better to check the pressure but have to work with what you have. Should at least make sure the pulse generator is pulsing, if your really zealous make sure that that it is timed right. For the injectors, I would assume they are using 12v to actuate, a trick we used to do is stick led's in paralell with the injector wiring to verify they are pulsing. Can pick up 12v led's for cheap at almost any radio shack or hardeware store. Enjoy!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:06 AM

ever heard of a "pink wire" ... i have been reading some forums of guys having my problems and saying there is some pink wire to blame... something about a diode burning up

anyone have any more info on this?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:07 PM

I'm having the same problem on a 05 honda cbr 600rr I just purchased, my brother is a MMI graduate and has worked at honda & ducati dealers currently he's at vespa of LA, I not saying his the best but he has a lot of mechanic friends at this locations so that's a plus for me and beside his boss let him work on personal jobs at the shop, so he called his ex coworker at honda of marina del rey in CALI, he told them the problem they said that they had the same problem and it turn out to be the ECU, as for me before I buy the ECU I'll check all wires and connection first if I don't see any problem then most likely It would have to be that, I'll let you guys know how it goes also one of my friends has a 05 cbr like mine I going to ask him if he lends me his ECU to try on my, I hope he lends it, I'll do that tonight.