General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front sprocket replace!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front sprocket replace!

Hi All,
Could anyone tell me what is involved in replacing the front sprocket on my 1990 CBR 1000F as I have a manual but it dosn't explain this procedure, any advise would be great!
Regards, Steve.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Front sprocket replace!

Here are the steps I did to change my counter sprocket on my 600RR.

1. Put your bike up on a rear stand, loosen the axle and adjust the chain adjustments all the way in.
2. You have a plastic cover over the front so you have to remove it. Two screws only... if it's stuck from grease and dirt... pry it off.
3. You can move the shifter linkage out of the way by taking the top pinch bolt out and letting it hang out of the way. Make sure you leave the bike in gear for the next step.
4. Remove the front sprocket and put the new one on.
5. Fit your chain back on and adjust the chain. Leave the adjustments all the way in. Then start by counting the turns as you adjust them out. That's the easiest way to get it right.
6. Make sure you have about an inch of free play left in the chain and you're set.

Will this work for your bike? This should be a very easy job... but it is very important to make sure you adjust the chain properly, and that you torque all the bolts right.

Someone go over this and see if I left anything out, I'm going off memory.

Old 12-27-2005, 12:44 AM

Don, the CBR 1000F has a centerstand, so you don't need a rear stand. And the 1000 has the slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch on top of the sprocket. Measure each bolt when taking off the cover, I think there's four, as each is a different length and write it down and where it goes. You also have to take off the shifter linkage. Look how the linkage goes, maybe take some digital photos, and remember how the two dots line up on the toothed gear. Take off the old sprocket, put the new one on and tighten it to 65 lb/ft. When installing the speedometer-drive plastic joint on the sprocket nut, move the drive chain slightly to seat the plastic joint on the nut, otherwise it will break, then tighten it down. Adjust the chain like Doncollins says.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:41 AM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: doncollins

Someone go over this and see if I left anything out, I'm going off memory.
seems to be good to me. also, go back after a few miles and check to make sure no bolts have loosened up. this is a no-brainer for any assembly but definatley important.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Retired Administrator

That's what I'm talking about... team work. I'm not familiar with the 1000F, hence the "will this work with your bike". Together... we can take over the world.. well, maybe at least build a bike.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the advice people!!!
Don thank you for all your help as always great input.
Regards, Steve.