F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Easiest Way to Replace Rear Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest Way to Replace Rear Sprocket

So I picked up a stock black powdercoated rear sprocket and want to swap it in. What is the easiest way to do this without messing around with the chain? Is it possible to do without unlinking the chain? This is my first bike have had it for less than a year. Although Ive done all the basic maintenance myself so far, Im not sure Im too comfortable messing around with the chain and sprocket yet (I know Im probably overthinking it). So any advice? I have all the tools to do it just not sure the best and easiest way to tackle the small project.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remove the rear wheel. You don't have to break any links to do that. Search around for the DIY for chain/sprocket removal if you want pictures.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonCBRF4i
So I picked up a stock black powdercoated rear sprocket and want to swap it in. What is the easiest way to do this without messing around with the chain? Is it possible to do without unlinking the chain? This is my first bike have had it for less than a year. Although Ive done all the basic maintenance myself so far, Im not sure Im too comfortable messing around with the chain and sprocket yet (I know Im probably overthinking it). So any advice? I have all the tools to do it just not sure the best and easiest way to tackle the small project.
Chain & sprockets should be changed as a set.

Yes, its possible to change the rear sprocket w/out breaking the chain. If you're intent on just changing out the rear sprocket, simply remove wheel, unbolt & remove sprocket, replace sprocket, put wheel back on. This is all assuming that your new sprocket is the *same size* as your old sprocket. If its a bigger, you'll need a longer chain. If its a smaller sprocket, you'll need to cut out excess links & install a new master-link.

See Incognitos HOW-TO on chain & sprocket swap here...
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/chain-sprocket-swap-97641/