F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Unfamilar Noise Need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unfamilar Noise Need Help ASAP

I just recently replaced all of my spark plugs in my 02 F4i with iridium ones. When I put the bike back together and fired up the engine I noticed a noise at idle speed that I had not heard before coming from the left side of the engine (Riding Position Orientation). I listened to both sides of the engine and the sound is most definitely coming from the one side. It sounds to be a sort of knocking that will increase if I increase the throttle. The location to me seems to be in the the outermost cylinder and up close to the valve cover. I pulled the spark plug out and inspected for any damage and there was none. I reinstalled the plug and the sound persisted. My research suggests that it is the cam chain tensioner but I do not see how this is possible considering that it is on the other side of the bike. My bike only has 10K on it. Please any help would be appreciated. I am trying to do a track day at Palm Beach International Raceway this weekend and I want to make sure everything is in working order.

Last edited by foxens; 02-14-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM

I have the same problem on my bike as well. i was unsure if it was the cctl too being on the other side of the engine, but i figured it could just be sound transfer through the motor. if theres any other suggestions id be all ears.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM

I dont know about that because about 1K ago I replaced my CCTL with a manual one and unless it backed out (which is entirely possible) I dont think thats the problem. Nevertheless I am going to double check my CCTL to make sure, I just wanted to spare my self the headache.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM

is your plug in all the way? Maybe its not completely sealed and gas is escaping out the spark plug hole. Maybe swap back to your old plugs to see if it still does it?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM

I just checked the clearances on the spark plugs and they are all within tolerance. I replaced the first cylinder spark plug with the old plug and still the same sound. I took a quick video to record the sound, dont mind the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqppMDh8XpI

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not a cam chain tensioner. Sounds like just a bit of valve noise. 10k miles is getting close to your first valve service.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Syphen
Thats not a cam chain tensioner. Sounds like just a bit of valve noise. 10k miles is getting close to your first valve service.
That is what another friend of mine told me he thought it was. What is required in the way of a valve service. I'm pretty handy when it comes to maintenance with my bike, is it something I could do myself or is it something better left to the professionals?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM

I did it on mine, yu basically rotate your cams and use a feeler gauge to get the gap between the cam lobe and valve topper thingy. Theres a long section in the repair manual for it. I did mine at 20,000 miles for the first time and my intakes were slightly out of spec and my exhaust valves were all fine.
for me, the valves were actually louder it seems(maybe its just me being senile though)...not sure about that though

Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Well looks like a valve service is next on the to do list. I will notify if that solves the noise issue. Thanks again everyone.