General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front sprocket freeplay?!? wtf....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front sprocket freeplay?!? wtf....

Hey guys, im sorta a bit pissed here. I started out wanting to put a new chain on my bike and leave the sprockets cause they are in good shape. Well, I get the old chain off and start workin the new one one and I notice the front sprocket has freeplay in it... what I mean is it can wiggle between the back and the washer that holds it on... is this normal? I thought the sprocket was supposed to come out far enough that the washer would contact the sprocket, keeping it from wobbling or anything... is my bike fked up or what? I was really hoping to ride today, but im not risking it till I find out for sure if its supposed to wiggle or not.

thanks for any replies

Chris

Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Front sprocket freeplay?!? wtf....

so it's wiggling on the bolt itself? no it's not supposed to do that.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM

its not wiggling on the bolt, persay... The inside of the sprocket has the grooves that match up with the shaft right? well its just short of reaching the end of that shaft where it can connect with the washer, which in turn is held on by the bolt... I can tighten the bolt all I want, but all it does it press up against the end of the shaft, and still allows the sprocket to move around. I just matched it up with my old old front sprocket and its the same way... what gives?

Old 03-07-2007, 05:22 PM

washer too small?

Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 AM

Not unless the washer is supposed to go around the spline (impossible and still have it get pressure from the bolt) I think the sprockets I have are just the wrong width... that or my spline/shaft is longer than it should be, if that is possible. I have a temp. fix for it now, im ordering some new sprockets here in awhile.... really would have liked to dodge the sprockets this time but doesnt look like its gonna happen.... when I get my new ones in and the front still has slop, what do I do?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:28 PM

then you start tearing into it and getting other people to measuer the shaft and check to see if you are missing anything.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 PM

Sounds good to me i guess... since I have to replace the front, Im going to get a rear too cause it doesnt make sense to have a brand new front and an old rear... got any suggestions? Im looking at keeping it where its at (15, 45, I think lol) so its nothing crazy

Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 AM

I just bought the RK quick accel kit it is geared 14/45one less on the front and it is anoticable difference , but to answer your question my sprockets are "vortex"

Old 03-09-2007, 05:41 AM

The 3 guys I normally ride with also have vortex, so i just thought Id take a shot with them. I ended up going with a 15/46 because they only had rears in 41, 43, and 46 for my bike on the site I chose. Im hoping ill have enough play in the chain by the time they get here to be able to work it on w/out any problems. It is sitting a bit loose after the first ride today and Im on the 2nd mark from all the way in. I think it should be able to handle one more tooth in the rear by the time it gets here.

wish me luck, dont know what Ill do if this new sprocket is also loose....