General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front master cylinder and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front master cylinder and brakes

the front brakes on my friends bike are locking up after we put on new levers so i changed the brake lines and put stock levers back on and now theres no fluid going down the lines to bleed it no pressure is building up even if i take off the front connection up at the cylinder and squeeze the lever nothing comes out at all im 90% positve i need a master cylinder rebuild kit just want to know if im on the right track before i order the parts

Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok- first, welcome to CBRF.

Second - were the brakes fine before the lever swap? since you normally don't have to do anything to the master cyl when swapping the lever, I wouldn't imagine anything changed there.

When you say locking up, is that meaning light pressure is sending the front end into complete full braking power? Did you verify you have the correct lever for the bike - sounds like maybe the portion of the lever that pushes the MC in is making contact way too early.

Otherwise, following your troubleshooting, you then put the stock lever back on, and changed the brakelines at the same time? Did you try testing it with the stock lever back on before messing with the lines?

Now that you've tried working on every aspect of the system, there's no real logical path to follow.

Even with no lines attached, you should be able to pump fluid out of the MC with normal lever action - if that's not happening, then yeah rebuild that thing.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did try with the stock lever back on before i changed the lines and i still wasent getting pressure.

the tire was not locking up before the lever was switched it was the right lever for the bike i double checked it, the brake lines were also correct i checked them to.It did tho need lil or no pressure on the brakes to stop it but im guessing the actuator or spring in the MC was already messed up bad by the pressure that had been put on by the new lever bc now no fluid is coming out at all and i have done 3-7 different sets of brake linesand levers and never have seen this as of right now stock levers are back on with the braided lines

it also while riding will lock up out of the blue then after like 15-20 mins release it self but i have check the calipers also i switched them on to another bike of the same model and year and they worked fine
and thank you for the welcoming