General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frame slider install, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009 | 09:52 AM
Default frame slider install, what would you do?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

So I came across a friend who I haven't seen in 10 years. He now paints professionally, high end painting like Ferraris, Lambo's, etc., and he is going to paint my bike back to factory colors this weekend! The conflictI have is that I just ordered Vortex frame sliders and they won't be in until Monday. For the slider install, I have to cut the fairings. I've looked at the "How-to" for this project and have gone through all the motions. The problem is that the "How-to" ask that the engine mount bolt be removed and the frame slider bolt installed THEN have the laser level mark the spot on the bolt head prior to reinstalling the fairing and marking for cutting. I don't have the bolts from the kit yet. I'm wondering what difference it might make if I just use the original frame bolt to mark? I could also go to the hardware store and find a different bolt with the same thread pattern and similar head (to the slider bolt)and use that as the reference. I will not have the actual slider bolt and, of course, will not know how true my cuts are until after it's been cut, painted and reinstalled.

Would you make the cuts now and using what reference would you use, or not?

Old 01-01-2009 | 10:15 AM
Default RE: frame slider install, what would you do?

i assume you could just use the original frame bolt. but why not just wait until after you get it back from paint? you HONESTLY are not going to screw up the paint, trust me. once the slider is on (if done correctly, and again.....its not hard AT all.....my g/f did her own flawlessly on her F4i) you wont even notice any flaws or anything. it will look stock if done correctly.

i used the silly putty method and mine on my F4i and RR turned out looking amazingly well.....as if Honda did it themselves. so if i were you i'd just wait until you get it back from paint. do it correctly, take your time......and there will be NO problem!

here's a example for you, of my F4i.......

Name:  Picture083.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  49.5 KB
Name:  Picture082.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  35.9 KB
Name:  Picture081.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  29.5 KB

Old 01-01-2009 | 10:16 AM

The original bolt is fine as long as you line up the the laser on the centerline. The slider bolts will be on the same center.

Polls don't work BTW.

Old 01-01-2009 | 10:17 AM

you mask off the surrounding area w/ masking tape so you dont rip/tear/scratch up the surrounding surface. i found the silly putty method to be simple as could be! again, i'd wait till after paint. trust me, you dont scew up your fresh paint.

Old 01-03-2009 | 10:55 AM

Use a masking tape when drilling the whole to prevent cracking the paint.

Old 01-03-2009 | 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: jaynd
i found the silly putty method to be simple as could be!
That's what I use.

Old 01-03-2009 | 11:26 AM

laser for me

jay yours look better..haha

Old 01-04-2009 | 01:43 PM

Shouldn't you have the bike on a stand so it's sitting straight?

I would go with laser as well.

Old 01-04-2009 | 05:32 PM

As far as the laser, the bike could be upside down and it won't matter, as long as you have the laser square off that bolt...

I did the laser on my F4i...and my buddies RR...then when I put a new body kit on my RR I didn't want to take everything off after fitting it all on there...I was just too lazy....I already had the two motor mount bolts out, so what I did was do a best guess on where the center of the hole should be buy pushing my finger on the fairing and looking for where it bumped out on the back side and where that was in relation to the motor mount....useing a 1/16 bit I started drilling.... Put a little hole in the fair, used a flash light resting the headers to light up the back of the motor mount bolt hole and just looking through my little hole to see where it was in relation to the motor mount...with in 5-7 holes I had it nailed dead nutz. Just use the hole in the fairing as if it where a rear gun sight.....

photos of the bike are here. I was not looking to get slider photos so you can't see much...alsoI used a 1 3/4 hole saw...my sliders fit perfect inside of them...tight all the way around, no gaps.

https://cbrforum.com/fb.asp?m=732528