F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Frame Slider Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame Slider Install

I am sure this question has been asked 100 times. I did a search, but I got so many responses for people wanting to know what frame slider to buy, I thought I would just post the question again. I got a new set of frame sliders, and I know where they go, but I just have one question. Does it replace the factory bolt that's in the spot now? Do I just take the old bolt out, and put the new one in? I purchased a D2Moto duralin slider off e-bay. I don't know if that helps any or not. Thanks!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Default RE: Frame Slider Install

You got something like this?
http://item.express.ebay.com/99-06-H...mdZExpressItem

And yes, they will replace the bolts you take out.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:47 PM

yup when installing i used a hole saw for a small door handle so it is a perfect circle. thought it might help

Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Yep, that's the one I got. I was told to get one made of the delrin stuff so that it would slide instead of dig in. Might be wrong, but I figure it's better than nothing. Thanks for the advice. I have a wet diamond bit hole saw that I'm going to try to use. It's designed for tile, but it cuts REALLY smooth. Thanks for the help

Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 PM

I got one side on, and did ok. The only complaints I had about the sliders, was that they didn't have any instructions, so I tried to tighten the bolt down to what the old one was. I checked before I took it off, and it was about 50 ft lbs. I got to about 45 when the bolt had sucked itself down into the plastic, and the socket wouldn't fit on the head anymore. I REALLY hope I don't ever have to take these off, because it's going to SUCK. I lined up the hole, and drilled a pilot hole where I thought the center was, then I drilled the larger hole in the plastic. I was off by about 1/8th of an inch!! And, I slipped once when I was drilling, so there are some small scratches on the plastic now. Not a big deal, because the plastic's not perfect anyways, so it matches. But all in all, it fits pretty good. The CBR that's on the frame slider looks pretty good, accept with the plastic on you can't really see the C. Still not a bad deal for the price though.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 AM

Man this sounds like it was a pretty tough project for you. My vortex frame sliders are in the mail as we speak. If you can please post some pictures it would be appreciated.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 AM

It was actually pretty easy. The only real hard part was the fact that the bolt sunk into the frame slider. The hole being off 1/8 of an inch wasn't that big of a deal, I just made it a little bit more ovul shaped, and it looks fine. I need to do some touch up paint around it, and might even get a small rubber hose to put around the hole, but that's just because I am kind of **** about things sometimes. I will post some pics of the install tonight. I'll try and do a before and after on the rubber hose too.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 AM

when u put the bolt in the motor mount hole put playdo on the faring and then put the faring on the bolt and it should line up perfect. drill the pilot hole then use the hole saw.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:32 AM

I did that without the putty, I just looked for the indentation on the foam backing. I was stupid though, and put the slider on then did that. I didn't realize until after I couldn't get my bolt out anymore that I should have just put the bolt on. At that point, it's hard to line it up that way because you can't actually put everything into place. So, I lined it up the best I could then drilled. I was actually surprised how close I was. I'm going to take a dremmel to it tonight to clean up the edges a little bit, but overall it looks pretty decent.