General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid leak from shifter rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid leak from shifter rod

Hello,

I ride a F3 and I noticed i was leaking some type of fluid. When i followed the trail back to the fluid it was comming out of where my shifter rod is attached. The fluid only comes out when the bike is running but aftyer the bike is off the fluid stops. My question is why is the fluid leaking and how can i fix it? What fluid is leaking? From my obeservations I think it could be trans fluid and i think a gasket may need to be replaced. Can a loose shifter rod be tightened so that the fluid doesnt leak or are gaskets needed. Could the problem be far worse?

Thanx

Old 08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Default RE: Fluid leak from shifter rod

The fluid coming out is engine oil. It is leaking from around the rubber oil seal that fits around the shift shaft and seats against the engine cases. To fix the problem, you will have to replace this oil seal. It can be done without removing the shift shaft if you have a pick of some sort with a bend at the end (like a dentist's tooth scraping tool) by inserting the pick between the seal and the shaft and turning the pick so the bent end will grab the seal and then pull. Grease the new seal (on the inside hole, not around the outside of the seal) and seat it into the engine cases so it fits flush with the outside of the cases, making sure to not damage the small spring around the inside perimeter of the seal. Unfortunately, this mayor may not solve the leaking as your shift shaft may be bent or has gouges around the surface of the shaft causing the seal to not...well, seal. Shift shafts do not get "loose" and cannot be "tightened". It is a solid shaft that is held in place by the clutch cover. If you have to remove it, you will need to drain some oil, remove the clutch cover (will need a new gasket), remove the clutch components, and simply push the shift shaft through the engine and pull it out from the other side. Good luck!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM

Thanx for the reply,but do you know any websites where i can get the seals or a hardware? What do i have to do to repair the seal or set it back in place? Do I have to take anything or a simply an alignment of the seal would work?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanx again. Iwas woundering can my engine sieze up from the leaking oil. Can my engine seize up from lack of oil? My oil is leaking at an alarming rate,should i recycle the oil into the engine to prevent it from seizing up or will it be fine? what would be my best bet at this poitn while im waiting on the seal to be shipped?

Old 08-11-2007, 02:57 PM

If you do leak enough than, yes, it will damage the engine. Just keep an eye on it and don't let it get below the 'low' hash mark on the little oil checking window. It shouldn't be leaking a ton, so just keep an extra quart in the garage and top it off before going for a ride. If it's leaking so much that this doesn't take care of it, dont ride and get it taken care of immediately. Actually, if it's leaking significant oil from the shifter that could be dangerous as it's very close to the track of the rear tire. I'd keep from riding it until you figure out and fix the problem. Cheers!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 AM

No, you certainly don't want or need to recycle the engine oil. Once it's out, leave it out. When the new seal comes in, clean the engine case around the area where the seal will be going, especially the part where the seal will actually seat into the cases and the shift shaft, I recommend contact cleaner or brake parts cleaner because it is a high flash point solvent and evaporates quickly. Dry the areathoroughly and then grease the inside part of the new seal (the part where the shaft will slide through) and push the seal all the way to the base of the shaft (this is starting to sound like a romantic novel). Once the seal is touching the cases, simply press the seal all the way into the hole until the surface of the seal is flush with the cases. If its very difficult to push it in, get a small hammer and VERY LIGHTLY tap around the edges of the seal so that it goes in straight.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 AM

Oh you can find a pick like I was talking about at Sear's. As for the seal itself, the dealer can certainly get one for you or an online parts dealer.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 PM

Thanx.I got that shifter rod seal fixed then it was the crankcase oil seal. Good newsI only had to replace the crankcase oil seal behind the sprocket and I didnt have to splot the cases.