General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f4i tail light help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation f4i tail light help!!

so i made my own fender eliminator and ordered an integrated tail light from ebay so i didnt have to put the ugly *** blinkers back on. when I plug in just the brake light/running lights plug they work fine.. but then when I plug the blinkers in the whole light turns amber. The blinkers then blink red and the brake light doesn’t work at all.

i know that the wiring from the bike is green/yellow = brake, brown/gray = running, and green = ground, and the blue and orange blinker plugs both have a ground (green) and a hot wire (either blue or orange)

the wiring from the light itself is red = brake, yellow = running, black = ground, blue = left blinker, and yellow = right blinker

could it be the bikes flasher???

i dont get whats goin wrong so if anyone has any ideas or has had this problem please help me out! thanks

Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM

I sounds like you just have some wires mixed up. Make sure your not acidentally using your license plate light as one of the blinkers, as it will be a constant voltage. I would get a volt meter, or even just a test light and make sure you have the right wires. Hook up the test light or meter to a chassis ground, the turn on the bike and find the constant hot, then hold the brake and find the brake hot, then the blinkers. As long as the wiring for the light is correct, it should be a simple splice in the wires and your done.

I dont the flasher has anything to do with the issue.

what brand light did you get? I have a clear alternatives on my bike. Everthing was fine with the installation with that brand anyway.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Is your fender elliminator madew specific for the F4i or is it generic? What's the brand?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:46 PM

if it stays solid amber then yes its your flasher relay. if its solid amber on both sides then something else is wrong. If it flashes red...lol

You should have just bought the brighter and wider viewing angle integrated tail i sell on here...Would never have these problems

Old 07-29-2010, 08:29 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

how bout a link to your light redz!

Does sound as thou you are mixing up wires some where.

How do you get solid amber should only be one half or the other if it’s a clear alternatives light. If i can remember mine i didn't have to use the ground for the blinkers. Just the flashers the blue/orange ones you need to hook up.

When doing this work with one wire set at a time. And try not to touch other wires or it will short the board. You can hook up the wires one at a time and unhook them to see if you can get them all working individually. Then do one set and test another and test to diagnose which wires are giving you problems.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 PM

You only need main ground wire..well, any of them will do...ground is ground is ground.
clickity \/
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-sale-trade-99/01-03-f4i-custom-integrated-tails-fs-112744/

Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

I ment just the main ground wire for the brake light i tried using the grounds for the blinkers but kept messing stuff up so just the power wires.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 PM

justasquid and drunkinmist- ive done all the testing you said already and im 100 percent sure everything is hooked up how it is supposed to be. i got the thing off of ebay from china so that pretty much explains it... heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/Integrated-LED-T...item27aecd5146

turn stop - fender eliminator is home made

redzintimidator - come down on your price and ill send this pos back and get one from you. but theres no way im buying one for 165 bucks...

Old 07-31-2010, 08:56 AM

It costs me about $125 in parts and about 4 hours in tedious soldering..trust me, if i could bring it down i would... Sorry

Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 PM

[quote=colson09;951591]so i made my own fender eliminator and ordered an integrated tail light from ebay so i didnt have to put the ugly *** blinkers back on. when I plug in just the brake light/running lights plug they work fine.. but then when I plug the blinkers in the whole light turns amber. The blinkers then blink red and the brake light doesn’t work at all.

I am having this same problem right now. Everything is hooked up exactly the way previous threads describe but the exact same thing is happening. Did you ever find out what the problem is? I actually bought the bike with this problem and then I bought an integrated tail light recently and its doing the same thing. Please help, its so frustrating!!!