General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rough after dropping

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Engine rough after dropping

Hi guys.

I have recently dropped my 1991 CBR600 F2 because I tried to pull away with a f***ing lock on my front wheel (idiot).
Anyway, bike fell onto left side, some fuel dripped beneath it (from carbs I suppose) and now (apart from bent clutch lever and snapped mirror) the engine runs uneven when idle or going at steady speed/throttle. It sounds like it does when it runs out of fuel, but there's no change in performance really. Did anyone ever encounter this? I have no idea whether it's carbs, fuel starvation or cam chain? The cam chain did rattle like hell when I started the bike few moments after picking it up but stopped within a minute or two. Does anyone know what could happen when it dropped?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante6686
Hi guys.

I have recently dropped my 1991 CBR600 F2 because I tried to pull away with a f***ing lock on my front wheel (idiot).
Anyway, bike fell onto left side, some fuel dripped beneath it (from carbs I suppose) and now (apart from bent clutch lever and snapped mirror) the engine runs uneven when idle or going at steady speed/throttle. It sounds like it does when it runs out of fuel, but there's no change in performance really. Did anyone ever encounter this? I have no idea whether it's carbs, fuel starvation or cam chain? The cam chain did rattle like hell when I started the bike few moments after picking it up but stopped within a minute or two. Does anyone know what could happen when it dropped?

Thanks in advance
O that sucks. I sadly know that exact feeling.........

Anyways.

How long was it on it's side for?

How long have you let the motor run for after you got it back upright?

Check your plugs. Oil can get on them in a tip-over and cause them to foul intermittently/give a weak spark/etc.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:58 AM

Thanks. I picked it up straight away so maybe five seconds. Then I let it run for a minute and went on an hour long ride back home.
Does anyone know what size socket I need for spark plugs in this bike? I have a 22mm socket for car plugs.
thanks

Old 04-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and find a factory spark plug wrench. They are a real bitch with anything else, and they are not 22mm. They were 18mm on my bike, but others may have 16mm (5/8".) Conventional deep well and spark plug sockets are a little too wide to fit down in the hole.

I bought a normal 18mm deep socket and I had to grind it down so it would spin somewhat easily on the plug. If you do try this, get a locking extension (one that has a slip collar to lock the socket on) so it's easier to pull the socket out of the hole.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Well, new spark plugs didn't help - still no change. (They're 16mm and deep enough to cause me terrible taking them or) Anyone has any other ideas? Thanks