General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rough start, rough idle, rough ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough start, rough idle, rough ride

I'm sure the like has been posted, and I've looked for it for several days.

So my 95 f3 takes about 10 seconds of turning over to get to a slow grumbling, white smokey start (not to smokey, but several puffs)

Once started, I can rev up the engine and then choke it, and hope it doesn't kill the bike, but rather keeps it at high rpms so it doesn't die as it warms.

I have to blip the throttle at red lights or it will die.

Also, taking off at first I really have to hold on, it will be sluggish, then take off, then sluggish etc. it's almost thrown me off a couple unsuspecting times.

I have checked the fuel system and all is well. I'm thinking it's not getting the spark it needs. Here is a video of the idle.

There was a half day last week that it ran like a champ, started normal, idled, ran pretty fast, then back to her old ways again.

I checked the stator I think tonight. The way I saw to test it, I got the 45V on the top, 35v on the 2nd and 12v on the bottom wire. I checked the ohms with ground on battery and got no readings on any (as instructed on a one of the many brief tutorials I read.

How can I nail it down from here?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 AM

Plug wires?

Last edited by joefos; 08-21-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: removed video link
Old 08-21-2013, 02:23 AM

Cleaned the carb?

Check the spark?

I'm no professional, but it just sounds like something is clogged or dirty.

I have had plenty of idling issues when I rode scooters and it's generally similar.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:15 AM

I have had a similar issue disconnect the fuel line under the tank get an air compressor and blow out the jets in the carbs it should get better

Old 09-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say it has almost thrown you off a few times, do you mean it took surprised you by changing from running like a slug to taking off like a normal running bike? In that video your bike is missing (not firing on all cylinders). Normally if something starts running right intermittently it is NOT a fuel problem. Meaning fuel problems arrive and stay there on a machine with carbs for the most part. I would suspect one of the two coils not firing properly. It sounds like the bike is only running on 2 of the 4 cylinders anyhow. SPARK PLUGS.. remove them after running the machine and check them. Keep them in order for each cylinder. If you have two that are soaked with fuel then it may be a coil or ignition wire etc.. issue. Check the plugs and go from there, that will tell if you have fuel and no spark. Spark plugs die at random sometimes and do so unfortunately more so it seems with carbureted machines. You have to start somewhere. Keep it simple.

Last edited by Bryce Swartzwelder; 09-05-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: trying to make sense (is that possible.. naaaah.)
Old 09-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I agree with Bryce, it sounds like it's not running on all cylinders. Check your plug wire order, they're numbered so it should be easy to confirm.

Name:  DSC02815.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM

After scouring the forums and going to a couple shops. I hit the manifolds with water and I'm missing one. So I got this nifty $4 spark
Tester goes between the plug and wire and lights up if its getting spark. I'll try a new plug and wire, then go coil if that doesn't do it. Thanks so much guys! This really tipped me off.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:55 AM

Well, looks like I have 2 "missing" #3&4 they are the 2 plugs that look like they were fouled. Put in new plugs, same problem. I changed plug wires at the coils, and have the same problem. Changed plug wires, same problem. These are on side by side carbs...?...

I just pulled the carb apart to replace all my orings on fuel and air "T's" and it now starts up nicely, but looks like 2 plugs are missing, the water I squirt on them will go away very slowly. When I pull the plug wire off the plug, the bike dies immediately.

I've also noticed only one of my vacuum diaphrams opens up when I rev it. The 3 that don't open (they are in tact), well, those are the 3 carbs that will kill the bike when I spray carb cleaner in.

I'd like to nail this myself, but I only have a short amount of patience left, then I may take this thing in to the shop.

I also did the solenoid bypass on my vacuum lines and simplified it. This had no affect.

Any ideas?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM

So while checking my vacuum lines, I found this. Any idea what I'm looking at, It seams to start and run (like crap) with or without them.

All plugs are sparking grounded out on the block.

Plugs 3 and 4 are very wet with gas and those are the same 2 that are not hot on the manifolds.

In addition I have observed the 3 vacuum pistons not opening on the carb.
***when I have jumper cables on it idles nicely at 2k rpm, anything below it will die, when I pull the cables it dies. I have to keep it at 2500 rpm and give her lots of throttle to not die taking off.***
Very low HP, even lower around 7k rpm.
When starting idle is 1500, after 10 minutes of riding, idle is 2200, and going any lower it will start to bounce around.
when I blip the throttle, it takes a few seconds to come back down, very slowly.WWhen I blip the throttle, it sounds like it's drowning before it picks up. It has stalled because of this.

Attached Thumbnails rough start, rough idle, rough ride-img_2399-1.jpg  

Last edited by joefos; 09-23-2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added information
Old 09-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I believe that is the intermediate connector that is coming from the Stator. 3 yellow wires that go over to the Regulator/Rectifier. You can see it in your photo on the very left side of the image. It certainly seems that you're not getting a charge. Put a meter on your battery while its running and check the voltage. There are many guides on the site that will help you troubleshoot the R/R and Stator.

Quick Reply: rough start, rough idle, rough ride