General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problem or?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem or?

Hello,

I am quite new to the biking community and recently purchased a 2005 plate Honda CBR125.

I took it out for my first ride a while ago, and completed a 6 mile journey and the bike was running absolutely fine, started first time etc. On my way back home, it started to downpour. I had just entered an A road and accelerated up to about 60 mph when all of a sudden, the bike cut out. I gradually came to a stop on a pull in section simply my the momentum of the bike.

I then tried to start the bike again, and the bike would not start, however could hear it turning over. I tried giving it a little gas as It turned over but would not ignite. I tried this a few times, and the more times I tried it, the weaker the turning over became until eventually, the bike would not turn over at all. The lights on the bike all still come on fine with key in ignition on start. My first assumption was that water may have got into something electrical causing the problems. I put the bike in the garage for a few days however still would not turn over. I checked the battery by connecting it to a battery tester but the battery is reading fine (3 out of 4 lights on the oxford battery tester).

I booked the bike in to a garage to get the fork dust covers changed, but also informed them of what happened and they agreed it sounded like a water problem and added on the price to get everything sprayed etc.

Anyway took my bike in today and after 2 hours they phoned saying my bike was ready. When I went to pay they informed me the seals had been changed and that the bike started first time. I instantly stated that this could not be right. After checking he came back saying that he did not realise the bike was a non-starter when it was brought in and just thought it was being sprayed with WD40 type liquid. He stated they have managed to jump start it and said that the battery is no good. I then informed him that I tested the battery and that the battery did have good charge. He then said that it may be the Generator Windings + gasket, and the regulator rectifier which can be costly. He stated that he believed the problem MAY (could not confirm it without doing more tests) be that the bike in drive is not putting enough charge back into the battery to keep it charged, and the bike is draining the battery causing it to cut out. I still can't see this being the problem though as the battery is still showing good charge according to the battery tester which I have checked a number of times now. I also find it funny that it seemed to cut out when it was raining very heavily.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm fairly new to bikes so please be kind with replies and go easy on me!

Regards,

Dan

Old 10-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can check to see if the charging system is putting out enough to charge the battery.

Connect a multimeter to the battery terminals, set to DC volts. Start the engine and rev it to 2500 rpm. The meter should read 13.5V or greater if it is working correctly.

Also, welcome aboard.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Welcome Crew

as above by roadijeff check the charge going to the battery,if the battery is suspect if you know someone with a bike try theirs to see if it cures the problem,if she cuts out in the rain (only) you could be taking on water somewhere (coil, plug ect) its just a matter of finding where its getting in

Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had something similar happen to me on my wife's gs500. Excessive water had gotten into the air intake and had filled the bowls with water causing the bike to stall Just food for thought. You could have killed the bike trying to start it after the bike stalled. I don't trust shops with any work (that service manager said it started first try when it couldn't - right?). If it's the R/R, you can tell because when they fail, they usually melt the connectors in the plugs.

If it has been running for a while with no problems, I would not expect stator issue either.

What was the WD40 thing about again? Are you having problems with it now? Is it still giving you issues? Do you have it back from the shop? They let it leave without them fixing it?

Last edited by Conrice; 10-04-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 01daell
Hello,

I am quite new to the biking community and recently purchased a 2005 plate Honda CBR125.

I took it out for my first ride a while ago, and completed a 6 mile journey and the bike was running absolutely fine, started first time etc. On my way back home, it started to downpour. I had just entered an A road and accelerated up to about 60 mph when all of a sudden, the bike cut out. I gradually came to a stop on a pull in section simply my the momentum of the bike.

I then tried to start the bike again, and the bike would not start, however could hear it turning over. I tried giving it a little gas as It turned over but would not ignite. I tried this a few times, and the more times I tried it, the weaker the turning over became until eventually, the bike would not turn over at all. The lights on the bike all still come on fine with key in ignition on start. My first assumption was that water may have got into something electrical causing the problems. I put the bike in the garage for a few days however still would not turn over. I checked the battery by connecting it to a battery tester but the battery is reading fine (3 out of 4 lights on the oxford battery tester).

I booked the bike in to a garage to get the fork dust covers changed, but also informed them of what happened and they agreed it sounded like a water problem and added on the price to get everything sprayed etc.

Anyway took my bike in today and after 2 hours they phoned saying my bike was ready. When I went to pay they informed me the seals had been changed and that the bike started first time. I instantly stated that this could not be right. After checking he came back saying that he did not realise the bike was a non-starter when it was brought in and just thought it was being sprayed with WD40 type liquid. He stated they have managed to jump start it and said that the battery is no good. I then informed him that I tested the battery and that the battery did have good charge. He then said that it may be the Generator Windings + gasket, and the regulator rectifier which can be costly. He stated that he believed the problem MAY (could not confirm it without doing more tests) be that the bike in drive is not putting enough charge back into the battery to keep it charged, and the bike is draining the battery causing it to cut out. I still can't see this being the problem though as the battery is still showing good charge according to the battery tester which I have checked a number of times now. I also find it funny that it seemed to cut out when it was raining very heavily.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm fairly new to bikes so please be kind with replies and go easy on me!

Regards,

Dan
Did you ever end up checking the voltage at a higher rpm? You just set your voltmeter to 20 DC volts. put the negative prong on the negative terminal on your battery. Same thing for the positive side. Rev it in neutral; it should read 13.5 or more.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamestlester
Did you ever end up checking the voltage at a higher rpm? You just set your voltmeter to 20 DC volts. put the negative prong on the negative terminal on your battery. Same thing for the positive side. Rev it in neutral; it should read 13.5 or more.
He never logged back on to see the replies. It happens often when a new member posts a question, several people give detailed troubleshooting advice, links on where to purchase a replacement part, etc., and the OP never returns to read it.

Old 09-02-2021, 07:46 AM
Default Exact same issue as op

I have cbr 125r 2014 model and have exact same issue as OP. I didn't want to start a new post when one exists with same problem.

I've checked
Rr
Checked battery
Checked everything thats basic and that I can do. I even checked coil and its perfect condition.

i brought new battery fully charged it connected to bike its registered 13.5 + when reving. I can ride it for maybe 15 mins and loses power and dies. All plugs are fine that I can see so nothings melted like previous replies may suggest.

I don't think the injectors could cause this kind of issue but I've no idea truth be told at a loss. This happens in any weather condition

All help appreciated