Starting Problem bad clicking NOT Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem bad clicking NOT Battery

Hey I bought a 2003 CBR 600RR on Sat and it started and ran fine. got it home went to start it and when I pushed the button it clicked really bad from the little square box right behind the battery and everytime I would push the bottom to start it the computer(speedom, miles, temp) infront would restart and just like the first time you turn it on. so I went and bought new battery thinking that was the problem, nope same thing. tested the battery voltage and like 11.86 volts. Any ideas? let me know if I left anything out that would help solve the problem. thanks guys!!!

Old 04-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Default RE: Starting Problem bad clicking NOT Battery

Odd..what did the dealership have to say about it.?
I had the similiar probelm but my was battery related it didnt have enough charge.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:50 PM

I haven't talked to the dealer. I bought it used and the guy I bought it from "said" this has never happend to him. yeah I don't know, it seems just like the battery that's why I rushed out and bought a new one. I can compression start it, but once when I did it yesterday it ran like crap kept dying on me, but this is when the battery was compleetly dead. so would that make it die while riding or once it gets started should it run like normal?

Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: taymax14

I haven't talked to the dealer. I bought it used and the guy I bought it from "said" this has never happend to him. yeah I don't know, it seems just like the battery that's why I rushed out and bought a new one. I can compression start it, but once when I did it yesterday it ran like crap kept dying on me, but this is when the battery was compleetly dead. so would that make it die while riding or once it gets started should it run like normal?

Remove the battery and charge it up, trickle overnight. Then try it again.

The reason I say this, Honda has weak regulators, and a dead battery being charged by the bike might blow it.
Then you have a new set of problems. On the CBR 1100XX's it would take out every electrical thing on the bike costing the
owner about 2k to fix it.

Todd

Old 04-15-2007, 03:37 PM

ok I'll do that. so would a dead battery make the bike die while just starting to ride even after it's first started?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:17 PM

battery same thing happend to my buddy.
If u can push start it.
Should start right up.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: taymax14

ok I'll do that. so would a dead battery make the bike die while just starting to ride even after it's first started?

That would be the symptom of the failed regulator, when you went to buy it the guy may have had the battery fully
charged. So it started right up but as the battery dies slowly, it start screwing up the electrical system, and causes it to die.
I bet if you fully charge the battery it will run till the battery dies or gets low. That is the sign of failed regulator.

Todd

Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 AM

yeah that sounds like what it's doing cuz if I have it full charged it will start up after that first or second ride it wont. so is that the voltage regulator? how much do those run?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

over 100 for the rectifier. you need to do a diagnostic of it to see if it's the stator or the rectifier.

most likely the rectifier, but you still should test all components so you're not wasting money.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Could be the stator..notorious on its bigger sibling the CBR1000RR!!! Had mine burnt twice... [:@]

Quick Reply: Starting Problem bad clicking NOT Battery