General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual headlights on 2004 1000rr

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justasquid
ya, thats the whole reason I went with 2 bi-xenon projectors.

if they are the same as an 05 1000rr, I have the reflectors for those.
I'm pretty sure they are the same. I found a 01-03 headlight assembly on ebay yesterday that was cracked for pretty cheap, so I went ahead and bought it. Hang on to those, if the ones I bought don't fit then I'll still need yours, and if the ones I bought do work then someone else will probably want yours.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:58 PM

I dig the asymmetry of my F4i. you're driving down the road, spot a hottie, get behind her, give her a wink. if that don't work then blow her doors off.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 AM

Anyone need two slightly used H7 bulbs? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3E4nZnjmGQ

I recorded the stock headlight shinning at my garage, and two different placed in my back yard for comparison. I didn't finish the dual headlight mod until after the sun started coming up so i'll have to wait until tonight to get some video with the new setup. Once I started taking the headlights apart and snipping wires I figure out a simpler way to get this wired using only one relay that still protected the starter switch. I'll post all of the details after I get some sleep...

EDIT:
Okay, so I left the high beams running through the factory 20A relay that it was already running through because it is more the enough to handle the current. I just took the high beam hot coming from the factory relay and split it out to both side and this allowed the high beam switching to work with the factory setup. I then setup a relay for the low beams with it configured to be on by default and then connected the high beam output to the switching circuit of the low beam relay. When you turn on the high beams and power flows to the high beam filament and to the low beam relay which causes the low beam relay to turn on, which turns off the low beams. This particular setup also ensures that the high beams are fully on before the low beams cut off, so there is no gap in the light output.

The most difficult part of the labor was unwrapping the wire harness, and re-taping it when I was done. I still need to figure out where and how to mount the relay I added. I noticed that the factory ones are hanging from rubber things that allow them to move, so I'm going to try to figure out a similar setup for the one I added.

Last edited by weeeezzll; 11-22-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: some details