General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual headlights on 2004 1000rr

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual headlights on 2004 1000rr

Does anyone know of a relay that will convert my headlights to dual low and high beam? Is there a relay if so where do i get it from?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 PM

nope. there is not a relay that will give you two low and two highbeam lights. Your bike has one low beam reflector, and one high beam reflector, they don't have high and low reflectors, the reason for single element bulbs. Some people have changed their headlight bulbs over to dual element bulbs, but you still have the reflector that is not going to place the light where it is suppose to go.

About the only way to accomplish dual highs and lows is to change the reflector. Or, change your headlights to bi-xenon projectors. this will give you your high and low beam on each headlight. there are a bunch of kits on ebay now, however, I am unsure of their quality. I personally did a bi-xenon conversion, but I used projectors from a cadillac XLR. Very big task. But the kits that are ebay now seem to be much easier to install.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the HIds, if you do the mod without using the HIDs the fillament bulbs will draw too much voltage and fry your wiring and/or the headlight switch itself. Do a google search, I found a write up in another forum along with a bunch of folks complaining about fried switches and melted wires, but if you use the HIDs that shouldn't be an issue cause they draw less voltage. Good Luck

Old 11-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
+1 on the HIds, if you do the mod without using the HIDs the fillament bulbs will draw too much voltage and fry your wiring and/or the headlight switch itself. Do a google search, I found a write up in another forum along with a bunch of folks complaining about fried switches and melted wires, but if you use the HIDs that shouldn't be an issue cause they draw less voltage. Good Luck

Your probably talking about this post:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/35094.aspx

The problem:
Honda's default wiring scheme actually pulls the current to run the low beam bulb through the starter switch. Oddly enough even though the high beam is same 55W bulb as the low beam, Honda put a relay between the switch and the high beam bulb in its stock wiring setup. After reading all of the post in that thread, and studying the wiring diagram it looks like it's actually the current draw of the dual low beams that causes the problem. Because the high beams run through a relay and the relay gets it's power directly from the headlight fuse it cannot damage the starter switch. The things that surprises me is that there is no mention of changing the 10A fuse out for a larger one in the tutorial, but the current required the run two 90W low beams at 12V is 15A and 16.7A for the two 100W high beams at 12V.

There is a safe way to wire Dual Headlights. I'm still trying to come up with simplest solution. So far it looks like this:

The wiring diagram in that post will work, but you will need to add an additional relay between the low beam and it's power source to avoid drawing too much current through the starter switch.
The low beam will need a relay that uses Bu/W as a switching source and splices into Bl/R for the current to power the light. This will move the current draw away from the starter switch but will still cut the headlights off when you press the starter button and will keep all of the current for the headlights flowing through the Headlight fuse. You will also need to upgrade the headlight fuse to a 20A instead of the 10A that is stock. All of the wires and component that carry current to the lights in this setup should handle 20A of current so a 20A fuse should keep your wires from heating up and turning into fuses themselves.

One more thing that appears incorrect in that setup is the "optional switch":

Based on it's placement you would get the following:
* - Low intensity light
# - High intensity light
. - Bulb does not produce light

H4 - Optional Switch ON:
- Low Beam * *
- High Beam # #
H4 - Optional Switch OFF:
- Low Beam * *
- High Beam . #
H7 - Optional Switch ON:
- Low Beam * *
- High Beam . .
H7 - Optional Switch OFF:
- Low Beam * *
- High Beam . .

Getting this setup so that both H4 and H7 bulb work in the bike with the flick of a switch is much more complex of a wiring job than is shown in that how to. I'm going to try and set mine up so that you can revert to the H7 setup by flipping a single switch.

I still need to figure out how to deal with the angle of the light...

I'll be documenting everything and will post updates here and when it's complete I'll put together a tutorial.

Last edited by weeeezzll; 11-20-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:38 PM

If Im reading your statement correctly, you are suggesting that you will end up with two low beams and two highbeams?

if thats the case, you can't. The reflectors only allow one low beam, and one highbeam. It doesnt matter what bulb you put in the housing, the reflector will only reflect the light in the pattern it was designed for. So trying to use a housing that was designed for a high beam, will not be able to produce a low beam light, or vice versa. headlight housings that use a high and low beam bulb, will have two seperate reflectors within one housing. They have a high beam reflector, and a low beam reflector.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by justasquid
If Im reading your statement correctly, you are suggesting that you will end up with two low beams and two highbeams?

if thats the case, you can't. The reflectors only allow one low beam, and one highbeam. It doesnt matter what bulb you put in the housing, the reflector will only reflect the light in the pattern it was designed for. So trying to use a housing that was designed for a high beam, will not be able to produce a low beam light, or vice versa. headlight housings that use a high and low beam bulb, will have two seperate reflectors within one housing. They have a high beam reflector, and a low beam reflector.
Sure you can, you just have to be willing to see it through...

What I'm trying to accomplish with the rewiring is have two lights when the low beams are on, and two lights when the high beams are on. However I fully intend on making them full on proper high/low beams.

Remember that the H4s produce high and low beams effects with filaments, thus the there will be a compound effect of the bulb and the reflective housing. I plan on replacing one of the reflective housings so that they both match, I just haven't figured out which housing will provide the best results. I'm thinking that I want to have two high beam reflective housings (mo light = mo betta), but I have to experiment with them first to make sure that they don't produce light that is obnoxious or dangerous to other drivers.

I'm committed to making this work, just have to finish working out the details...

Last edited by weeeezzll; 11-20-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 AM

duals would be nice...but rewiring the wholoe system doesn't sound like fun...and I do this kinda thing for a living. it does get tiring having people constantl;y tell you you have a burnt out head light. I typically just leave both on all the time.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pamw
duals would be nice...but rewiring the wholoe system doesn't sound like fun...and I do this kinda thing for a living. it does get tiring having people constantl;y tell you you have a burnt out head light. I typically just leave both on all the time.
It's not as bad as it sounds. High beams already have a relay so you just need to add one for the low beams (to prevent start switch burn out) and then run both of those through another relay (SPDT) to provide high/low switching. I think the most difficult part will be finding the reflective housings that I need without having to buy a complete headlight assembly.

Anyone have a busted up headlight assembly for a 04-06 CBR 600 that still has the reflective parts still intact that they would like to sell or donate to this project?

Last edited by weeeezzll; 11-20-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:42 PM

I searched for a while to see if dual element lamps would fit with out a bunch of modifying. none are even close. once again honda's cheapness at its finest.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 PM

I searched for a while to see if dual element lamps would fit with out a bunch of modifying. none are even close
ya, thats the whole reason I went with 2 bi-xenon projectors.

Anyone have a busted up headlight assembly for a 04-06 CBR 600 that still has the reflective parts still intact that they would like to sell or donate to this project?
if they are the same as an 05 1000rr, I have the reflectors for those.

Quick Reply: Dual headlights on 2004 1000rr