General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dent In Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent In Gas Tank

I have two dents in my gas tank from the previous owner, they look like dents from the knee. They are small probably the size of a quarter or half dollar. Is there anyway that I could get those dents out by myself? I also have a couple scratches on the fairings from the bike being dropped off the kickstand (also previous owner), does Honda sell touch up paint, and if they do what is your experience with it? Does it look good if you touch it up yourself, or should I not waste my time and take it to a body shop to get it touched up? Thanks

Old 09-20-2006, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Dent In Gas Tank

dont spend the money on getting it fixed because your not going to get back outa the bike.. my bike had scratches too so i re-painted it myself and it turned out pretty good! + you get to make it your favorite color! and i doubt those dents are from his knees....if his knees made those dent they would be blown to peices and probably would not be walking...

Old 09-20-2006, 04:13 PM

I agree, no point throwing money at it. Although if it really bothers you, here in the uk we have a product called majic dent, this is done by suction pads placed over the dent & pulled out, without damaging the paintwork. I wonder if you have a similiar thing over there. You dont mention how bad the scratches are. If they are not to bad then you can go to any paint supplies and have touchup bottles made, just take part of your body kit in and paint code (found on chassis) and they should be able to make up the correct colour. Good luck!!!!

Old 09-20-2006, 07:35 PM

I've never seen it work in person, but I've heard several success stories of people filling their tanks with water and putting the tank in the freezer so when it expands, the dents are forced outward. However, I'm not sure how that affects the stock contours of the tank.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:16 PM

Check this site out http://www.cyclesurge.com/servlet/StoreFront
My friend droped his gsxr and bought some silver paint from them and it was an exact match..

Old 09-27-2006, 01:56 AM

bring the bike in to an auto store that has a paint scanner (like o'reilly's) have them mix u up say 1/2 a pint of enamel and get a small dill of reducer for it and maybe some touch up brushes ;0

Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 PM

the tank is in 2 pieces, iner and a outer shell so filling it with water and frezzeng it wont do anything to the outer shell and if they are the size of quarters you aint gonna get it out with a suction device the only way i know is drill a hole in the center of the dent a use a dent puller but then you have two holes to deal with so it aint really woth it you canb always go to honda and buy a new tank for 600 bucks if it bothers you that much