CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Gas Tank Dent

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Dent

So i have read alot on here about painting but not to much about filling dents.
I just bought a buddys wrecked 600 f which isnt too bad, But of course almost all the bodys messed. There is 2-3 inch dent in the gas tank and im wondering what i should do to fix it.
Since its small should i try welding a stick to it and pull it out (anyone have any advice or experience with that)... or fill it?
If i did fill it with bondo or something How would i go about doing that???
What type of stuff do people use?

Another question about the fairings and some broken tabs. How should i go about fixing them if i have the origional broken piece? How and what Do people use, 2 part epoxy, "elmers Glue"? Just kidding.
Is there a post about fixing tabs someone could direct me to, i didn't find any.

OF course another question. How do you post pictures so you see them within the text and not in an attachment?

[IMG]local://upfiles/24362/CA9DCAC518B64E1FAA622BFD5D93B5B2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gas Tank Dent

using bondo to fill in a dent is fine, just sand smooth to rest of tank surface and paint. instructions on how to mix and use bondo are printed on the can that it comes in. real easy. you can use a orbital sander to quickly sand down the bondo to the required contour or shape of the tank.

if you use the welded stick method, have a slide hammer to hammer out the dent. if you pull too far you can always use a regular hammer and some finesse to pound the metal back down. this method takes longer but uses less bondo. whereas using just bondo and sanding is much faster.

for plastic repair, check out http://home.att.net/~g.t.motorsports/store.html. this is for a plastex repair kit.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:21 PM

1. grind the paint off the dent.
2. use a stud gun to weld a stud to it and use a slide hammer to pull the dent out. start at the deepest point and work your way around it.
3. once you rough it out run your hand across it feeling for high and low spots. tap down high spots with a body hammer or hammer of your choice. keep in mind you want filler to be 1/4" thick at most, as it has no actual strength and will crack.
4. after you are satisfied with the results spread your first layer of filler. dont spread it over paint as it doesnt adhere to it. sand it down with 80 grit until you have achieved contour. for best results i suggest using a sanding block, or even a wood block if you dont have one. start with 80 grit, then move to 180.
5. once you have achieved contour, what i like to do is mix body filler with putty coat and cover the entire repair and spread it out further. putty coat will stick to paint, and if you mix the two it will retain this property. use 240-320 grit here. at that point you are ready for primer.
thats just how i did it anyway. as for products, i like evercoat. sands out easy and its easy to work with.good luck.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Onl filler I would say less than 1/8" thick or it will crack. Dont use bondo, use either rage gold or someother high quality filler used by proffesionals. Bondo will shrink and crack over time. Thats my experience in 10 years building custom cars.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM

well I had a fist size dent on the left hand side of the tank were the handle bar came into the tank on a lay down.. the guy before me did that.. anyway i took it to a body shop and had them pull it out.. kinda like you said before tack weld but they use the tacking gun.. I had it pulled out most of the way and then i filled with a cat hair and then bondo.. It worked out pretty nice.. Friends can't tell.. that works for me..

Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM

To fix the plastic imusing a two part apoxy called plastic weld. its working prety good since i had to glue the two mirror arm pices back on tothe the fairing and they didnt break off againwhen i bolted them down(the guy i bought it from did a real number on it). just v out cracksand edges of broken off picesand fill em with this stuff, just dont glue itto paint im thinking of using abondo fiberglass repair kit over it just to give it a little more strength andto make shure thepaint doesent crack I hope that helps