General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COOlING SYSTEM/OVERHEATING promblems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question COOlING SYSTEM/OVERHEATING promblems!!!!!

Alright cool so i have a 96 f3 and a rock hit my radiator..
It was spraying radiator fluid all out of the front.
I pulled over at a gas station and it was perty low on fluid
I was on my way to work. And is my every day transportation.
I made the mistake by buying some radiater stop leak to temporarly fix
the promblem so i can get to work. I put it in with some water and it stopped leaking.
But now my bike over heats too fast!
Just a five minute ride the fan will kick on.
I pulled the radiator off and hooked it up to the hose at one end
And water flows threw it normal. I checked the hose to the water pump and its good. And all the other hoses too and they were alright.
and now i dont know what i should do. Its perty clear that my cooling system is clogged.
Can somebody help me out and give me some advice on what i should do next?

Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM

I dont know of way to unclog the cooling system. But, more than likely, its your radiator that is plugged and not the engine, but it is possilbe to be the engine as well.

The reason it is probably over heating is the radiator is the cooling passages are so small, they clog really easy. It may flow water through the radiator, but it could only be flowing through a couple of cooling tubes and you wouldnt know it by just running a hose, it would still flow quite a bit of water through it. More than likely, a few of the tubes are plugged. thats all it takes on these cooling systems as they are barely good enough the way they are. take out a few cooling tubes and it wont keep up.

My suggestion is to replace the radiator and see if helps. Im sure it will. It would be a good idea to flush the engine in case there is any left over stop leak in it.

""""Now, I've never flushed a motor cycle engine, so its up to you to follow this advice, Im sure there is a better way, but this is how I think I would do it.""""
you could probably get a big bucket of water, place the pick up hose into the bucket, (you may need an extension hose), leave the other end of the cooling system off so the water can escape. Start the bike. It should start pulling some water through, but it may also need to wait for the thermostat to open before it begins pulling water, But I think it will still circulate some. Also, i would suggest using hot water. You don't want cold water being sucked into a hot engine.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:30 AM

Alright cool thanks!
Ill let you know how its goin.
Im painting the whole bike so once i get everything back on ill start working that promblem.