CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Mud in cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud in cooling system?

My bike seemed like it was over heating for a while so I decided to do a flush on it. I took out the thermostat that appeared bent (for how long who knows) and the entire system looked dry. I poured some water into the system with the drain plug off and the water came out just as clear as it went in. So I filled the system put everything back together without a thermostat in there and ran the bike... now the bike has some sort of tan thick fluid running through the system.

I took everything apart cleaned out the hoses, the water pump, radiator... I thought it was completely clean and put everything back together and rode the bike for about 10-15min and the tanish goopy fluid started comming out the top of the radiator cap... I'm in the process of flushing the system again but this time with radiator flush. Does anyone have any idea why the radiator fluid would ever do this???
Could there be a leak in the cooling system where oil is comming in? Any ideas?

Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Mud in cooling system?

That's burnt rad fluid my man, it stinks really bad too!

Flush it out a few times, somebody once told me that white vinegar works quite well also.

When you're flushing, put your rad flush in and take it for a short drive so that it gets worked through the system. I find that works better than pouring it in then draining it.

I gotta do that on my truck next weekend [:@]

Old 03-01-2008, 08:42 PM

I hope so... but kinda don't think so only because my oil is low too now... [] This F$ckin blows... aside from that though I put some stop leak in there and figure I'll keep flushing the system a few times until nice clean clear water pours out, once that happens I'll get the rad fluid in there and hopefully all will be well... any other ideas guys? Also if anyone thinks it may be a gasket, etc. give me your ideas on which gasket.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 PM

https://cbrforum.com/m_467908/tm.htm Check out post number 15 at the bottom of the page. Also before you do that what you may want to do is drain the radiator...then put the drain plug in finger tight....get the hose running.....fill it up...then start the bike...take out the drain plug and leave the hose running in the radiator...this way itll get the majority of the crap out of the system...im about to do a complete flush as on the link

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 PM

What's the mileage? What does your oil look like? It is milky or off color? Any white looking steam coming from the exhaust after the engine is warm?

Old 03-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Smoke was comming from the exhaust that looked a little white everytime I reved it up while sitting in nuetral... I've done a few flushes and poured some stop leak in there and now the radiator cap isn't leaking or sputtering fluid out when I ride the bike for 5-10 miles but the fluid in the overflow canister is boiling... cool thing is my oil level is staying the same as of now and I don't have any more fluid comming from the radiator cap... maybe problem solved... tonight I'll take it out on a longer ride to double check things out and make sure all is well. I don't have a cluster so I can't tell if the bike is over heating... Does anyone have any ideas on how to tell if the bike is overheating without a temp gauge?

Old 03-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd look into an aftermarket temp gauge...

Old 03-02-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm guessing flaws within the headgasket if you have white smoke when you rev up. That's usually the first signs of a blown headgasket when diagnosing problems with a car. If you're headgasket is blown, oil could mix with coolant, or coolant could mix with oil or no coolant would mix with the oil but burn within the cylinder (white smoke), and oil would mix with coolant. If all of your flushing techniques don't work, I would suggest looking more in depth into bad headgasket. Just my 2cents from reading your post.

-Jasper

Old 03-02-2008, 10:26 PM

A cheap temp gauge would do the trick to watch the temp. If it is a headgasket going it is something you don't want to let get worse.