General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slipping?

I'm not sure if this is my clutch completely warn out or the fact that I might need an oil change. My 01 F4i has 16k miles and the clutch has never been replaced I'm sure. I did an oil change about 4k miles ago, I would of liked to done it sooner around 2k but I couldn't find the oil I use. So the problem is when I used to shift through the gears real hard i would feel a little slip and the revs go up a bit obviously sounding like the clutch is slipping. Just the other day it is at the point where i need to find out whats going on. I was getting on the highway and opened it up in 2nd (rolling on the throttle not slamming it into gear) and it damn near sounded like i was holding in the clutch half way! I'm going to go with a new oil for now since i cant find rotella anywhere right now and see if that does anything which i dont think it will.

If its the clutch what would i need to get to replace it?

Old 05-22-2010, 08:46 PM

I don't konw what kind of oil you put in it, but i had an issue similar to that when i switched from a regular oil to synthetic it reacts with the pads on the clutch plates and causes a film and basically it slips. i would be sitting at a stop sign and with the clutch pulled in it would slip into gear and kill. i drained the old oil and put in what i normally used and never had another problem. if you really want to be on the safe side get a new set of clutch plates and springs. if your going to install them yourself make sure you soak them in the oil you plan on using in the bike ( synthetic or regular) for about an hour to make sure it completely soaks into the pads. if you have never done this before and are going to attempt it make sure that you pay very close attention to how you took the old plates out, i will stake them in the exact order that they came out BE SURE NOT TO FORGET TO DO THIS! Good luck! get torque specs!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM

hey, I just bought a bike this week and did an oil change and went from regular to synthetic oil. It was running great but I laid it down at about 5 mph and after that the clutch was slipping and has been getting progressively worse. do I HAVE to change my oil back to regular, or will it eventually adjust to the synthetic and work again?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nobody, the fact that you're running synthetic has nothing to do with your clutch slippage.
My guess would be that maybe something got screwed up with your clutch when you took the spill.... like the adjustment/cable, etc.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 PM

It's possible that you messed something up when you dropped the bike, as far as the oil I am just relaying my experience, that is the explanation the two of my MMI graduate friends told me.