CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Clutch slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch slipping?

I recently bought a 1995 Hurricane. It was in rough cosmetic shape, but the engine is strong and everything works. When I accelerate hard in the power band (6.5-7k+)of 5th and 6th, sometimes 4th, the clutch slips and the revs go all the way to redline. I replaced the clutch fluid immediately after getting the bike and the old fluid was black. I bled the clutch properly and it disengages properly in the first part of travel. There was a very small stainless tab at the bottom of the reservoir that I took out. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the factory manual. I have searched and it appears there is no adjustment for the clutch. Anyway, I'm wondering what the possibilities are here:

-improperly bled / serviced hydraulics in clutch
-new clutch (discs, springs)
-worn out springs
-energy conserving oil additive (unlikely, I am using mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5w40 and many people say this works fine with wet clutches.)

I don't know how many miles are on the bike since the speedometer drive cap was broken when I bought it but I think about 14k is accurate. Is there anything I could have done to the clutch hydraulics to mess it up or do I need to order new clutch hardware?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

It does sound like the clutch is slipping. It could be that the oil is not really for wet clutches, clutch is just burned up, or both. Id start by changing the oil with good motorcycle oil to see if things change any. Otherwise, youre going to need to pull the clutches and check them for wear. I doubt that you caused any problems by bleeding the hydraulic system.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sometimes when the oil in these bikes is cold and you accelerate hard they will slip if the clutch is a bit worn. Mine does.
You may need to pull the clutch plates and springs and fit new friction plates.
Takes about 2 hours and you don't have to be a rocket scientist
I've had a set of these plates in my bike for 25000 K now.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
I would replace the clutch springs at the same time - your metal plates should be fine.

Contrary to what my friend Demon says, your diesel oil is fine - if you read up the many posts we have on oil many of us are running Rotella T synth or similar diesel oils in our bikes. They have the same properties as good quality bike oil and are 1/4 of the price !
Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Sometimes when the oil in these bikes is cold and you accelerate hard they will slip if the clutch is a bit worn. Mine does.
You may need to pull the clutch plates and springs and fit new friction plates.
Takes about 2 hours and you don't have to be a rocket scientist
I've had a set of these plates in my bike for 25000 K now.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
I would replace the clutch springs at the same time - your metal plates should be fine.

Contrary to what my friend Demon says, your diesel oil is fine - if you read up the many posts we have on oil many of us are running Rotella T synth or similar diesel oils in our bikes. They have the same properties as good quality bike oil and are 1/4 of the price !
Hope this helps.
I run rotella oil as well. I love that stuff. But not all diesel oil is good for clutches (JASO-MA). Im not sure about the brand being used here. But since there is a slipping problem, wouldnt changing the oil to something completely different rule out the oil being the source of the problem? I was gonna advise use of rotella, but that would start yet another "what kind of oil" thread. Ahhhhh

But if it turns out to be the clutches, for sure replace the springs while in there.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once the friction plates are contaminated with the wrong oil, it's better than half a chance that you will need to replace them. I've heard of people having success with an oil change but doubt it. If the bike was in rough shape it's likely the clutch saw some abuse and is worn anyway. As Shadow suggest go shopping on Ebay for replacement friction disc. The steel plates are generaly fine but look for signs of overheating.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the friction plates and springs. Easy job just keep everything in order when you take the old one out.

Soak the new plates in your oil of choice for your bike (I still use Motul bike oil) over night and roughen up the steel plates on a concrete floor with small figure 8s then rinse off.

Oh yeah; welcome to the forum mate!!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

What Dave says and watch for glazed discoloured or warped steel plates

Old 11-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also you need to check the metal plates for warping. If the bike has had it rough and the clutch is slipping take a look at the metal plates for discoloration, and put them at a level surface, a normal table will do fine. Check if they lye flat on the table. If The center teeth or some part of the rim is significantly up from the plane, replace.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I've ordered those friction discs off ebay. Hopefully the steel discs aren't warped or out of spec. If I'm careful with the gasket on the cover can I reuse it?

Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure you can - If it doesn't leak, it's good

Quick Reply: Clutch slipping?