General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound when riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking sound when riding

I just got my first bike a 98 CBR 600 F3. It runs great and has 23,000 miles on it but the bike makes a clicking sound when i am riding it. It always sounds the same in every gear and when i pull the clutch in it goes away. Is this a normal thing or is there something i should be made aware of. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:06 AM

could be the fuel pump

Old 03-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Most likely it's normal noises that the bike makes. Pulling in on the clutch changes the loads on the engine and naturally the sounds it makes. Now, if you've had the bike for a while and it's suddenly making these noises, I'd be concerned. Can you localize where the sound appears to be coming from ? When was the last time you've changed the oil in the bike ?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to capture a recording of it and post it here. We can give it a listen and let you know if it's something to be concerned about, or otherwise better advise you.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 AM

The f3 was well known for having a noisy clutch. Pull the clutch in and the motor is really quiet, let the clutch out and you hear the noise. In some cases, you can actually feel the difference. However, you really shouldn't be able to hear it once your up to speed. The normal noise is usually only heard and felt at idle or very low speeds such as under 10 mph. If you are hearing the noise at speed, you may want to investigate a little further. You may have a clutch bearing begining to fail. There is an inner and out bearing on the clutch basket.

Also, the normal noise is more of a very soft rumble, not so much a tick. If your getting ticking, you may actually have a failed spring on your clutch and it could be rattling. The springs are extended with the clutch released and compressed when the clutch is engaged. which might explain the noise.

But as already said, a video would help us help you.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 PM

Well as far as maintenance it was done at the begining of the month before i bought it. The sound does come at lower speeds and i would say its more of a rumbling sound than a tick. It dont happen at highway speeds more so when i am running on back roads. And to isolate the area I would say it sounds as if it is from the chain area.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM

The sound does come at lower speeds and i would say its more of a rumbling sound than a tick. It dont happen at highway speeds more so when i am running on back roads.
I might tend to agree with IdoDirt then. Its more than likely the normal noise of that particular bike. All bikes will make this noise to an extent with the clutch out, but some of F3's were very audible. In 98, I bought a brand new cbr F3. I had it back to the dealership 3 times and even had a Rep come take a look at it. Turns out it was just the normal noise for that bike. I didn't beleive them until I had the chance to ride 2 other F3's and they made the same noise. But, its very hard to offer definate advice since a bearing failure also makes the same noise, just worse.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Well thanks for the help