F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking sound

so i was riding my bike without my helmet ( was moving it from my garage to my living room, requires 2 minute slow ride thru the complex) anyways when im riding next to the wall i heard a loud clicking noise while going really slow, 10mph. I am assuming this is the chain making that sound. Do i stand correct? or do i have a problem.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: clicking sound

at that speed, you're prolly just hearing the chain. altho the f4's are notorious for CCT problems, but that would usually occur at higher revs, and is better described as a rattle/vibration.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:36 AM

i have that too, n i can hear it thru my helmet. Do i need to fix it soon? or can i ride it out for a while? i dont have money to fix it right now =(

Old 02-27-2007, 03:33 AM

i have that too and my bike is like brand new i never noticed it before cause i had my helmet on, i just noticed when i moved it n the parking lot the other day without my helmet on

Old 02-27-2007, 05:15 AM

eh that sounds is normal i hear it when my helmet is off mostly around the block and such to test out new ****

Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 AM

no idea what the clicking is really from... but i have it also, low speeds 2nd gear... guess its "normal" on an f4i. anyone have more detailed info on this f4i phenomenon?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:10 AM

I dont hear a clicking noise on mine at low speeds or the clunking at high speeds. but i havent ridden my bike in a min so i will just check to see.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a clicking at 10mph? clutch in or clutch out?
cctl is mostly load dependent...so will be more audible when the engine is in gear, with RPMs about 5K. best thing to do is in first, slowly ride and get her up to about 9K, then let go of throttle. as the RPMs drop, you'll feel and hear this vibration and rattle...which will seem like it's coming from the tank. this is the cctl.
don't believe the hype that you need to swap it out or else it'll destroy your motor. to date...not 1 f4i has had engine troubles due to stock cctl making noise! that's all it does...makes noise! a fellow member here rode on it for like 2 or 3 years before swapping it out with no issues.
at such low speeds, what you're hearing is most likely:
1. your drive chain (will make noise with clutch in too)
2. valve chatter
3. exhaust leak...which may go away as the engine warms up and the pipes expand.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:44 PM

I had the same issue when I first bought my bike. It was brand new and I was hearing this slight ticking.
I took it in twice (I think I was pissing of my dealer).
They said it was just moving parts (valves). I don't hear it with my helmet on, but in the garage I was obsessing about it. I took it to another race shop and they said totally normal...A lot of moving parts make noise. I except the answer, but way don't I hear this on other bikes? I guess the F4i has more moving parts....

Old 02-27-2007, 05:23 PM

you'll hear tons of moving parts on my bike! come listen to it!

Quick Reply: clicking sound