General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: changing oil

Mybike oil certainly does not turn dark after a hundred miles. After 1000 miles i can still see through it if i drain it.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Thanks and you are correct I don't have a manual. But I am looking to get one so I don't feel so stupid about working on my bike. The bike has never used synthetic oil so for now I am going to continue with regular oil. Thanks for your response it was helpful!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Ok, no one has said it, but I cannot STAND when people say you can't switch from Syn to Conven and or back and forth. That is just a plain out LIE. The only time a problem will arise if you switch is if the Syn you switch to has more detergents in it. Sometimes what happens is the conventional oil will leave behind more "crud" and that "crud" will "plug" up small holes and what not, when the higher detergent syn gets put in and after a while it CAN, not always but it CAN clean away that "crud" and you see a leak form. Most people blame in on the syn oil, but infact all the happened what the better oil revealed a problem that was already there. So switch every other oil change for all anyone cares it will not harm you motor (sorry had to get that out, I got in to a debate at a local Cycle Gear with the guys behind the counted about that...FYI, the guys working at Allentown, PACycle Gear...not the best for tech advice)

Old 03-03-2008, 02:43 AM

I do mine every 3000 and if I had the money and time I would do it every 2500. For $20.00 in oil the performance and jsut overall how much better it is for the bike i feel it is worth it. I have a cbr900rr with 28k on it so I like to keep it as clean as i can.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Ty

I change by time. I dont ride enough miles, maybe 10k per year. So I change once to start the riding season (Ohio) and once when I'm about 5-6k which is about half of my expected riding before the bike goes to hibernate. Some will change oil prior to storage, which essentially becomes a zero mile change because you have to change it upon removal from storage, but I do not believe in changing good oil. A 3 change season for me would put me at 3-4k per change, and that's a bit overkill so I stick with 2. Most people here would have a hard time outridng the time schedule (except 3rdgen) so I would just use that.

Figure your mileage and then how many changes you will need due to what time of year you ride and how fast you put miles on. The faster you run up miles, the more miles the oil will last. Time and usage degrade the oil equally. If you ride 10k per year, your miles would suggest 5k changes. If you ride 5k per year, you'd want to change it twice so then you would be down to 2500 per change. For those that get up there like 20k per year, then its ok to run it out, because your time between changes is shorter than the 5k rider. I would do 3 changes at 20k so about 7k per change.

Those of you year-round riders can be a bit more even with the changes because you don't have the mandatory spring change. For those that ride year round, I would recommend six month changes unless you go over 8k within six months. The time is really the deciding factor. I hate when I talk to people that are proud of changing their oil once a year because they ride so little. That is way worse for the motor than overriding a regularly timed change.

And use Repsol for crying out loud, LOL.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 PM

I generally change my oil around the 3000 mile mark but should change far more often than that because I ride my bike quite like most drive their cars. I guess you can say I really put a lot of wear on the oil. I have a question for you all, one person hit on synthetic oil, I am curious I am looking at going full syn, what are your viewpoints; pros/cons to this? I have a 98 900with about 42,600m on it.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:45 PM

The ONLY CON FOR SYTH is that is COULD have more detergent in, and if you have small leaks being plugged up by crap in your motor(I doubt it), the Synth COULD, MIGHT clear up that junk and reveal a leak....but the synth did not cause the leak, but rather found it....in other words, there really is NO downfall to switching besides price.....

Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 AM

If the only downfall to switching is the price then what would be the positive to switching, does the syn provide something that the regular oil doesn't; power, performance, longevity etc?

Is there anyway to determine if the syn oil I just purchased has more detergents that the previously used oil?

Old 03-08-2008, 04:26 PM

I would not worry about the detergents, and to be honest if a leak started I would be glad in a way b/c it pin pointed a problem for me. The upside is they last longer, vicoisty breakdown is MUCH slower meaning the motor oil last longer inside the motor, they can with stand higher temps and work better at lower temps etc etc. You will not notice a difference to be honest, but what you can do is extend your drain intervals. Honda calls for 8k miles with conventional oil....knowing that if you wanted you could push way beyond that with a Syth. If you change your oil every 3K with conventional, I would just bump it up to Honda's reccomended oil change at 8K once you go over to Synth.....

That is everything in a nut shell....