General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Your Own Tire...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Change Your Own Tire...

Damn there so expensive over here in the UK or i`d be doing all my own tyres too.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 PM

The problem is it's more expensive to change tyres than it is to change tires...

Old 03-01-2006, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

I have the harbor freight setup as well. I bolted it to my patio using anchors.

The bad thing is, it broke the 3rd time I used it. Not real happy about that and HF isn't gonna do anything about it either.

I was looking at these guys: No-Mar Tire Changer

They have built in protection for the wheels. They also have clips on their site on how to use their stuff (which is basically the same way you use the HF)

As far as the balancer goes, I bought this: Marc Parnes Wheel Balancer and just use it with Jack Stands that I already had -- you can get Jack Stands for $15 and most auto parts places.

I think later this summer I'm going to get the No Mar changer. You can get the ultimate package thats got the balancer and everything for $795 Its pretty expensive, but I'll start changing peoples tires for them and charge $35 per tire. Its better than taking it to the dealer and paying $50 to deal with a bunch of a$$holes. And its a good way to meet some different riders.

-Jesse-

Old 03-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious why the harbor freight model broke? I've mounted 32" BFGoodrichs for my Jeep and craploads of bike tires with zero problems. Hmmmmmm?

Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 PM

I'm not sure why it broke... I changed my front tire and my rear tire on my Goldwing last summer, then earlier this year, my friend brought over his wheels off his busa and when we were in the process of removing his rear tire, the machine broke at the weld where the arrow is pointing...

I can probably get it welded back, but it sucks that I would even have to do that. I know two other guys that have the HF changer and have changed several tires and theirs has not had the same problem. Could be I just got one that had a defective weld.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3951/C4D6F8798F624EA79BCB5A92C46D8F80.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Just a follow up to my broken HF tire changer:

I was thinking of going with the NO MAR changer, but my wife said to at least try returning the HF unit for either refund or replacement. It's only warranted for 90 days and I couldn't find the receipt. So anyway, the wifey takes it back and tells the guy we bought it a year ago and don't have the receipt. He says you'll have to talk to the manager, but don't tell him it was a year because of the 90 day warranty.

So she talks to the manager and gives him the "dumb woman" routine (her words, not mine) and he keeps telling her how it's out of warranty and nothing he can do. She keeps playing dumb. Finally he says he'll replace the motorcycle attachment. She says OK. He gives her a new one. Then she says what about the base? He says we had a deal that I'd just replace the motorcycle attachment. She says "oh" and just stands there for a while. Finally he gives in and gives her the whole shootin match.

Gotta love that gal of mine -- Crazy like a Fox!

Hopefully this one holds up longer. Changing 2 tires on the Goldwing in the next couple of days.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet deal dude! Them wifey's can be tough when it comes to saving a $1 I really like mine -- especially since I put the rubber stuff on all the wheel contact points. Last set of tires took me 45 minutes (that's old tires off and new tires on) and another 15 min to balance.