General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Your Own Tire...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change Your Own Tire...

Wasnt exactly sure where id get the best hits off of this... im sure if you looking for something, youd come to Gen. Tech right? If not... mods, can you put it in its best spot...

was playin around on the i-net looking at stunting stuff... found this

All In One Tire Change Kit Its only $85... is that pretty good for bein able to change your own tires?

cya,

Chris

Old 02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Default RE: Change Your Own Tire...

i have something similar to that. it works but is kinda trickey to use. when you press down on the tire the base of the breaker wants to come up. if it was bolted to the ground somehow it would work great.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like it's just a bead breaker. Does it have a clamp to hold the rim up while you're mounting the tire? This is what I use.

About $100 total plus you'll have to buy irons.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:31 PM

dang chainstretcher, that sucker is nice. i wish i would of bought that instead.

Old 02-27-2006, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

Looks like it's just a bead breaker. Does it have a clamp to hold the rim up while you're mounting the tire? This is what I use.

About $100 total plus you'll have to buy irons.
Hey Chain, How does the one from harbor freight work?? I was going to buy it after my little mishap with my dealer wheeling my old bike, long story. What do you use to balance the wheel and tire? I was going to start a thread a while ago about changing your own tires, but never got around to it. I saw a wheel balancer from handy, but they want $175 for it. I was going to make one, it can't be that hard as long as everything is level. I think this will be a good thread, I'll add a pic of the balancer from handy incase you don't know what I'm talking about.

-Jesse-

[IMG]local://upfiles/3901/2FE29AF27CC641EB8DD73155B36FDE44.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3901/F713F1424FB74B5A96705F7CE8E9DA6A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I made my own balancer at work. Just keep it level and have good free wheeling bearings and you're ready to go. Perhaps $30 in parts. The changer will need to be mounted to the floor or to a big board. There are also issues with different parts scratching the rim so you gotta do a little modifying to keep everything good. I just use the plastidip stuff to coat any metal parts that touch the rim -- usually lasts about 2 changes then peel it off and reapply. I use the plastidip on the irons also. Other accessories to have are the plastic rim savers. Beautiful things but make sure you tie strings to the little hole or it'll fall in the tire as you finish and then you gotta dismount the tire to get it out[:@]

Most important thing to remember is that our tires are very low profile and once you get the first side on you have to keep it from beading on the rim (keep it pushed up) or you will never, I repeat NEVER, get the top side on. This is where most peeps get agravated and screw up their new tire/rims. The bottoms seats on the bead and there's not enough slack to get the top side mounted.

Second most important thing is to use lots of soapy water. Keep the beading surfaces slick or you'll work way too hard.

Other things to consider: having a helper will cut change time immensly, a warm tire mounts way easier than a cold one, and don't force anything -- you have to put a little effort to get the last bit tucked in but it doesn't require herculean effort. If you have to exert a crapload of force to get the top side in then you're doing it wrong. Walk away and get help before you screw up a $300 rim.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:17 AM

Thanks, I'm going to get all of the stuff to do my own changes so I stay away from the dealer. It doesn't sound too bad as long as your patient. Do you know of any website that has a video that you can download to see how its done? You described it really good, but I learn by seeing alot better. My bike has brand new tires on it right now so I won't have to worry about it for a little while. Thanks again.

-Jesse-

Old 02-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I'm doing my best to make my tires last until the weather gets warmer (hate wasting good new tires on cold pavement) but when I do change them next time I'll try to do some pictures and post a write-up.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

I'm doing my best to make my tires last until the weather gets warmer (hate wasting good new tires on cold pavement) but when I do change them next time I'll try to do some pictures and post a write-up.
Cool, I'd really appreciate it. I know what you mean about wasting good tires on cold pavement. Around here its suppost to start warming up into the upper 40s so I was hoping I could get the bike out a little again, but its suppost to rain every day that it warms up[] LOL But thanks again

-Jesse-

Old 02-28-2006, 06:07 PM

I have the harbor freight setup as well. I bolted it to my patio using anchors.

The bad thing is, it broke the 3rd time I used it. Not real happy about that and HF isn't gonna do anything about it either.

I was looking at these guys: No-Mar Tire Changer

They have built in protection for the wheels. They also have clips on their site on how to use their stuff (which is basically the same way you use the HF)

As far as the balancer goes, I bought this: Marc Parnes Wheel Balancer and just use it with Jack Stands that I already had -- you can get Jack Stands for $15 and most auto parts places.

Quick Reply: Change Your Own Tire...