General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chain help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain help!!

just got finish ride my 900rr started making a weird sound. i park and i saw this i think its the chain. put it on some stand and the rear wheel want spin freely all the way around. feel like the chain get real tight then loose again

Attached Thumbnails chain help!!-023.jpg   chain help!!-025.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sprocket looks like it's toast. I'd replace it all.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:48 PM

dam didnt want to be without bike until i get paid. oh well any good setup for a 900rr

Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM

That sprocket looks like it's toast. I'd replace it all.
^^^^This X1000. that is probably the worst I've seen.

Its hard to tell from the pics, but it sure looks very skinny. If its a 520 chain, don't replace it with that. Go to a 530 setup. Any large bore bike like the 900RR, should not use a 520 chain. They have enough tensile strength, but they do not have enough area. Since they are skinny, all of the force is being applied to a much smaller area, and the sprockets wear out quicker.

Also, it looks like its been run very hot. Either lack of lubrication, or its very tight. If I had to guess, I would say you probably don't have the correct slack in the chain, or who ever before you didnt. The rollers look burned.

As for a set up. It all depends on what your riding style is. If you like the way it is now, count how many teeth the front and rear sprockets have, and replace them with the same sprockets. If you want a little more power down lower, go up in the rear or down in the front a tooth. if you want less low end power and less rpms while cruising, go the opposite.

As for who makes the best. Its debatable. Personally, I like D.I.D. chains. RK and EK chains are good too. As for sprockets, again, its personal, I have run vortex with good luck "19,000 miles and still looked great", others have had major issues with them wearing out too fast. Currently, I'm running Driven sprockets. They are holding up well, but I've only got 1500 miles on them. Sprocket Specialties are another good company. Things to keep in mind, many people do not properly maintain their chain and sprockets. Therefore, its very hard to know who makes good products based on complaints. As I said, I've gotten near 20,000 miles on a set of sprockets others could only get 4,000 or so. Its very important when you run aluminum sprockets to have proper chain tension, lube and keep them clean. if you do, they will last a long time.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:22 PM

just got the biker 2 weeks ago and put 500 on it.ill stop ride it until i replace it all
might try rk chain and spockets

Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Administrator - Retired

I'd go with stock sized steel sprockets and an O or X-ring RK or DID chain. I prefer the gold RK X-ring.
I don't like aluminum sprockets or conversions on a street bike. Just seems silly to sacrifice the chain/sprocket life.
I think Honda is pretty good at setting up bikes for all-around enjoyment.

There are a ton of steel sprockets out there that will be fine. I'm running JT sprockets right now, but sunstar, AFAM, etc. are all just about the same as far as I'm concerned.
You can get an RK XSO X-ring chain on ebay for about $88 shipped (gold is about $10-$15more), and the sprockets you can get from many different places. Name brand steel sprockets are about $60-$70/set.
You'll need a chain tool if you're gonna do the swap yourself.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I'd go with stock sized steel sprockets and an O or X-ring RK or DID chain. I prefer the gold RK X-ring.
I don't like aluminum sprockets or conversions on a street bike. Just seems silly to sacrifice the chain/sprocket life.
I think Honda is pretty good at setting up bikes for all-around enjoyment.

There are a ton of steel sprockets out there that will be fine. I'm running JT sprockets right now, but sunstar, AFAM, etc. are all just about the same as far as I'm concerned.
You can get an RK XSO X-ring chain on ebay for about $88 shipped (gold is about $10-$15more), and the sprockets you can get from many different places. Name brand steel sprockets are about $60-$70/set.
You'll need a chain tool if you're gonna do the swap yourself.
gone try to do it myself so pick up a chain tool is that the only specialty tool i need

Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Administrator - Retired

Nice reply, squidman. I was replying and then got pulled off the comp for a while doing other stuff.
Similar answers, tho, and +1 on the skinniness of the chain/sprocket. It's certainly not a 530. Conversions, aluminum, and crappy maintenance equals epic fail in most cases.
gone try to do it myself so pick up a chain tool is that the only specialty tool i need
Yep. That and other regular hand tools for removing sprockets and wheel, etc.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 PM

agree, go with the 530 kit on a liter bike.