General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CBR only starts with full choke, doesn't increase RPM's after idling for 30 minutes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress!

Thank you all for your advice! I finally got back to working on it. Here is the update for those of you interested. I checked the spark on all 4 cylinders. All good. I replaced the plugs w/ new again. I repulled everything again - checked vacuum hoses & fuel lines for cracks, obstructions, correct connections etc. I also replaced the fuel pump. Put it all back together, and it started better than before! So that was progress. However, after running for about 3 seconds it started spewing gas like a geyser! It was not easy to tell where the leak was coming from b/c it looked like it was coming from everywhere under the gas tank. I know its not the fuel lines, and I'm suspicious that I'll need to replace all the gaskets on all the carbs and possibly the diaphragm bladders too. I wasn't able to find replacement parts for these previously which is why I haven't done it already. Any good sites for OEM parts that have a lot of items? The sites I usually use do not have these available for purchase.
Thanks again for your input!! I think it's getting close!

Last edited by Mack; 11-07-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again,
So got it all back together, fixed the leak, its running - but not well. I have the same issue basically. It starts with full choke, and will stay on with full choke, but the rpm's don't increase and any throttle causes it to die. Seeing all the fixes I've made already, I'm on to the sensors. What sensors could be the culprit for this problem?

Old 11-30-2018, 10:21 PM
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Sounds like the carbs. It's not that much work to pull them apart completely and soak them, but you'll need to sync them after a thorough cleaning if you take the rack apart. Been there and done that, the idle jets and idle circuit seem to be the first ones to get all gummed up.