CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Possible carburation problems on my 1993 Blade

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible carburation problems on my 1993 Blade

Hi everybody, Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction!!!!
Just bought a '93 Blade and cant get this thing to run right.
It started with choke but was really lumpy and had done 13 miles in 3 years!
I figured the fuel was going to be pretty stale, so first port of call was to empty tank and get right down to carbs and give them a good clean with carb cleaner.
Ive taken off all the float bowls and cleaned all the jets out, but havent done the idle jets.
When I started it up again, it started on choke, but seemingly a misfire somewhere, so I went out and bought new plugs and airfilter, hoping to cure the problem.
Tried starting it up and again it started on choke and now seems to be revving but quite roughly and cant get it to tick over without choke, there is a loud chonking noise too at about 1800 revs downward which seems to go when I pull in the clutch.
Has anybody got any ideas please?

Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My 95rr started right up from cold, but once I set off I could tell something was off as she seemed hesitant and lumpy. First thing I went for was reserve but that didn’t help. Rode home and decided I had a fuel issue. I had not long done a service.
Spent a whole Saturday stripping and cleaning the carbs and replaced the fuel filter whilst I was at it. I stunk of fuel and everyone complained when I went back in for warm up coffees but it was all going to be worth it wasn’t it ?
No. Nothing changed. I had a stinking headache from the fumes and was totally pissed off with the results of my labour.
Scratch head and think time, maybe I should of done that first instead of jumping the gun at my running problem.
Basics right first, she started up easily from stone cold, last ridden a week previously with no issue. Can’t be the battery. Well it was. Decided to stick my meter on it and thought “what?” That’s low. Surely it wouldn’t couldn’t start/run with that ! Well it did but she ran poorly and even worse obviously as rpm increased. Charged the thing and hey presto......all was good. Bought a new battery and end of issue.
Not saying it is your battery, but worth metering before, during start up, and running just prove everything’s good in that dept.
Best of luck mate

Old 03-18-2018, 06:38 AM

Thanks for your reply Wes, I have got the bike to the point where it starts every time on choke and have tried to knock the choke off and wind up my tick over, seems that the tick over screw is wound to max now and still not having any off it, just cuts out!
I gotta be honest, I havent taken the idle jets out to clean, just the main jets in the float bowls..... Ive also got a real loud chonking noise at low revs and wondering if this could be loose cam chain?
Any body got any ideas please?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:19 PM

Chonking I can’t understand sorry mate. A ticking/rattle sound is how I would describe a loose cam chain but it’s never loud really. If it is slapping around in there then I wouldn’t run it further just in case. You could remove your tension adjuster and check if it’s functioning correctly.
I’d also whip the tank off and have a look at your choke mechanism. You should be able to see a bar move across the carbs as you look down from above. Check the operation and give it all a good thorough clean to make sure the operation is doing what you ask of it.
I’d also look at your tick over adjuster, have a look at its operation as well. Tick over can only be correctly set once the engine is warmed so I would back it off ( counter clockwise if I remember correctly) completely then step it out in turn increments whilst trying to start.
Could your choking noise be down to a misfire. The tanks off so have a look at those plugs whilst your at it.
You definitely got fuel flow ? How’s the air filter ? Love to hear that “chonking”. Any chance of a video?
Keep posting as much info as you can mate

Last edited by wes 17; 03-18-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:35 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

To me 'chonking' sounds like it might have a mis-fire/running on three cylinders.

Why did you not clean the idle jets? Would this not be a possible cause of your problem?

Old 03-19-2018, 04:03 AM

wes 17 Hawkwind2016, I think you are probably both right here!!! The reason I didnt clean the idle jets was because I didnt have a d-driver to get them out.
I think Im going to pull the carbs again and give them another clean..... D-Driver now ordered as well as a cylinder pressure tester and also a spark tester. I think there is definitely a misfire, so hopefully should be able to isolate which cylinder.
Wont be getting these tools til mid week, but will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for all your advice, havent owned a bike for 10 years now, so getting back into the mechanics is rusty lol

Old 03-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 for Hawkwind and Wes' suggestions. If it were me, once I had the d-driver, I'd clean out the idle jets, go back to factory settings for the idle screw adjustment, confirm cables are ok, then check operation and set idle. They'll still need a balancing and idle screw final adjustment, but skip those until after you've confirmed spark

Does the chonking sound change if you blip the throttle? I know mine sounds a bit nasty near stall

Old 03-21-2018, 04:25 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for your reply Tentacleslap. The chonking stops when revved up and like you say, sounds bloody nasty near stall, even up to 900 rpm.
Getting all my new tools today, just received my cylinder pressure tester, and getting my haines manual, spark plug tester and hopefully the d-type socket driver, so I can actually take out those idle jets and give them a good clean.
At the moment, my tick over cable is would in to the stop, so I think Im going to take off carbs again and totally strip them this time, will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again guys for your help.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:07 AM
Default Re-cleaned!!!

Hi guys, looks like you were right.... Got the carbs off again, stripped and cleaned properly this time.... Idle jets out, all jets and choke mechanism off and sorted, good coating of WD40 after carb cleaner.
She started on the push of a button and is now ticking over..... No "chonking" noises anymore, she sounds pretty good..... Downpipes are shot to hell though, loads of holes in collector
Hey-ho, got new pipes ordered for £185 which I didnt think was bad, they are chrome rather than original black, which is a pisser, but guess I could paint them if necessary.
Got the vacuum gauges coming this week too, so once pipes are on will balance them up and hopefully get her running perfectly!
​​​​​​So thanks again for your advice guys, has really helped!
Rob

Old 03-26-2018, 09:01 AM

Glad it’s all good now mate.
Have you got your old down pipes off yet ? If not, give them studs a prepping with some release oil.

Quick Reply: Possible carburation problems on my 1993 Blade