General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Issues

My 1990 CBR 1000f will not Idle after the choke is turned off. It starts up just fine and idles great while the choke is on, but as soon as you turn the choke off the bike dies. I've pulled the plugs and cleaned them with a sand blaster and I've drained the tank and replaced the old fuel with new. I'm really frustrated and could use a fresh perspective or some ideas on how to fix the problem. Thank you.

Last edited by Thanatos; 07-04-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 AM

Not much to go on. A little more history of the bike will help, such as, was it in any accidents, how long have you owned it, has it been sitting for longer than a year, and if so, was it stored properly? things along those lines will help a lot.

But it sounds like it could be a number of carb related issues. The first thing I would do is pull the carbs and clean them. While your doing the cleaning, make sure you pull the pilot jets and clean the ports the best you can. that would be my first guess, the pilot jets are probably plugged.

Also, does the bike run if you apply gas? Sometimes, the idle is set too low. In some cases, you can increase the idle and it will be fine. But again, a lot of suggestions are going to be based on further information from you.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:03 AM

I've had the Bike for about 3 years it sat for the last 2 due to my being away due to work. I was called away on an emergancy and so the bike was sadly not stored properly it was left where I had parked it the last time it was riddin. As far as wrecks go it has not been wrecked since I've owned it and the previous owner claims not wrecks either. To answer your question about giving it gas yes if you get the rpms up it screams like a wild animal (It is an aswome bike for its age) it just won't idle.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 AM

If turning the idle up a little doesnt help,

I would lean more heavily towards the pilot jets being plugged. The pilot jets are responsible for fuel/air mixture at idle, up until about 1/8 throttle, where the main jets begin to take over. So, if the bike runs at 1/8 throttle or higher, the pilot jets are more than likely plugged.

Im not sure on that model if you can get to them or not with the carbs still on the bike with a pilot jet tool. But if you can remove the pilot jets, spray in some carb cleaner, let it soak for 10 minutes or so, and spray like this several times, it may clean out the debree.

Having said that. Its probably tarnished gas that is plugging the ports. If it is, carb cleaner really doesn't help too much, you will probably have to remove the carbs and do a thorough cleaning. Im sure the bowls are tarnished up as well from sitting.

I would also consider draining the gas tank and refilling with fresh gas.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 AM

Yes thankyou for your advice I will definatly pull the carbs and clean them to see if that helps the problem, as far as the gas goes I have already drained the tank and put fresh gas in. Thanks again hopefully after I clean the carbs I can get back to riding it has been to long off the road. I do appreciate your advice Thanks.