General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 AM
mpz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle issues

Greetings,

I'm noticing idle on my 01 F4i is getting a little funky. When I first bought the bike almost 2 yrs ago it was fine and after a cold start idle would shoot up to 2K then down to 1.5K until warm down to 900 RPM and all was well. It was smooth, consistent and predictable.

Now it goes up as far 3.5K RPM upon a cold start. I'm also noticing idle go up to over 2K at stop lights after riding for a while and it isn't as smooth as before - gauge will move up and down as much as 500 RPM. I don't think it's running rich but could be a little due to Yoshi slip-on. In any case, it seems to get worse as the time goes by and I'd like to address that as it's concerning and getting really annoying.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off how many miles and have the valves been checked. Also could be FPR going out. It could simply need to be re-synched.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:18 PM
mpz

6.5K and valves have not been checked yet - I know, I'm getting around to it. Now that you mentioned it, it's possible that valves being out of sync could cause erratic idle. Are FPRs known to go bad on Hondas?

Thanks, keep those ideas coming in...

Old 05-10-2009, 03:31 AM

at only 6.5k, I dont think I would even worry about checking the valves yet. Its highly unlikely thats the issue with that low of miles.

As far as the FPR a common thing on the F4i's, I would have to say yes, they do tend to go out on just about every early 2000 cbr, including 929's. Even though you dont have many miles, the FPR's still go bad just after time.

Your slip on shouldnt effect the bike.

Did this only happen since you pulled it out of storage? If so, you may want check your airbox and make sure a mouse didnt make a home there. A friend of mine had it happen to his R1. We went down to Florida and he couldnt figure out why his bike was running so bad. Pulled the airbox and about 3 cups of corn were in it. along with a bunch of crap stuck in his filter.

I think I read on here another post recently about someone finding a mouse nest too.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 AM
mpz

Thanks for replying justasquid.

Valves: I plan to check soon anyway as bike is reaching it's second valve check interval.

FPR: Thanks, I'll def. look into that than.

Filter: Took it out of storage (garage) a little more than a month ago. I'll inspect the filter as well.

Thanks fellas, anything else you can think of, please post.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The valve check interval is 16k, however I see yours is an '01 as is mine. It starting acted up around 8k or so which my bro had it at the time. He thought it shouldnt be the valves either and replaced everything in the electrical system. It turned out to be the valves which didnt get checked till 16k and all but 2 of the intake valves were so tight I had to adjust them and re-measure to adjust them correctly. I would find it completely ironic if mines the only f4i from that erra that has faulty valves or seats. I've been told by a few other mechanics that around '01-03 area there were valve manufacturing issues among several of the jap manufacturers. Apparently the exhaust valves were hardened but not the intake. I can't verify but that seems to be consistent with what ive ran into on my f4i and the 03 z400 quadrunner I rebuilt.