General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cautions of a bike thats been sitting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cautions of a bike thats been sitting?

OK heres the deal, I have found an '01 white/red F4i with only 1, 056 miles on it. Sweet!!! the bike is in mint shape. I am going to pick it up next week. but now thatI have had some time to think about it, I am a little worried about a bike that hasnt been riden much. It has been stored in a garage, but its up in the chicago area. soit may have been exposed to extreme temps. The guys states that he only rides it a little each season, but that he goes out and starts it every couple of weeks.
It has original tires, claims like 1 oil change, and the chain is dry.
How much damage/deterioration do you think this bike may have suffered from only being ridden once or twice a season for a couple of hundred miles over the last 6 years?
1)rust in the tank- is this common, and how big a deal is it to fix it?If it does have rust, and its been driven, how hard is it to clean thewhole fuel system out?
2)I figure the chain is toast based on the pics,- replace
3)tires, not going to trust them-6yrs old, taking my new Diablo's off my crashed bike
4)what about brake caliper seals, and lines-could they have dry rotted? what about various other seals, like fork seals, and other internal stuff, do you think they could start leaking from dry rot?
5) with oil sitting in the bike that long, how much damage do you think it could have suffered from acidic oil sitting in there for the last couple years?
Any insight, or anything that maybe I havent thought of? I am going to take a flash light to inspect the gas tank and gas, see if it looks really old. [/align][/align]

Old 05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cautions of a bike thats been sitting?

Sounds like you have it pretty well though out man.

I think the fuel tank is stainless? I'd look for varnish though, especially between the fuel filter and the throttle body / injectors. I guess the easiest place to look would be the tank. If there's varnish there, there's a good change there's varnish down the line. Hopefully the previous owner ran it enough to cycle the old fuel out. I've spenthourscleaning out old dirtbike carbs and tanksfrom some schmoe leaving the bike sit forever and then wondering why it's running super-lean or just wont run at all. Hopefully you got lucky, or your fuel filter does a nice job for ya .