General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARBURATOR LEAKS FUEL, ALL GASKETS FINE???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CARBURATOR LEAKS FUEL, ALL GASKETS FINE???

I just made a post about whether a 92 carb can replace an 88. But I figure I might as well just ask this question too. My carb leaks gas. I have taken it all apart, cleaned it out, checked all of the gaskets and even coated them with some gasket aid sealant. Well all this did was slow the leak down. Someone told me that these older carbs have a diaphragm inside that if it is not operating right, the carbs will build up a lot of pressure. I have no idea if this is what is causing the leak. Does anyone have any advice on the cheapest way to fix the bike. I am pretty limited on what I am aloud to put into the bike money wise.
Thanks,
Brad

Old 07-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Default RE: CARBURATOR LEAKS FUEL, ALL GASKETS FINE???

Where on the carb is the leak? If you took off the float bowl and cleaned the jets, you only cleaned half of the carb. The top part of the carb has the diaphram, piston, piston walls, needle, and air bleeds which all need to be cleaned. Well, not the diaphram. But if your carbs are leaking from a vent hose, then you have to replace the float needles and seats.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Default RE: CARBURATOR LEAKS FUEL, ALL GASKETS FINE???

Thanks for the reply!!! They are leaking from the fuel bar (not the technical name) that distributes the fuel to the four carbs. Before I replaced the gaskets, it was leaking from where the main hose connects from the fuel filter to the fuel bar. I put on a new fasciner so it no longer leaks there. It does not leak out of the overflow tubes, and it does not leak out from sediment bowl gaskets. How would I go about cleaning all of the other stuff (piston walls, needle and air bleeds)?