General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get rear tire off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get rear tire off!

I have a 2005 600 F4I. The axle nut seems to have some sort of a locking device on it. It's not the standard cotter pin and it's not a washer with tabs that fold over the outside of the nut. It seems to lock into the threads of the axle preventing the nut from unscrewing. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming off because it is very small and I can hardly see it. It is located on the inside of the nut. I tried bending the tabs up away from the threads but it is too small to get anything under it. What am I missing here?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Default RE: Can't get rear tire off!

Its a self locking nut..Just hold the bolt on one side and remove the nut on the other..Nothing special.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: F4I

I have a 2005 600 F4I. The axle nut seems to have some sort of a locking device on it. It's not the standard cotter pin and it's not a washer with tabs that fold over the outside of the nut. It seems to lock into the threads of the axle preventing the nut from unscrewing. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming off because it is very small and I can hardly see it. It is located on the inside of the nut. I tried bending the tabs up away from the threads but it is too small to get anything under it. What am I missing here?
wow yeah its a locknut

Old 12-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Thanks! It finally budged. That may have sounded like a stupid question but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming off. The previous owner must have used an impact wrench to put it on. I attached a four foot pole to my breaker bar and jumped up and down on it with one foot while I had someone stand on the other end with another bar to keep it from moving.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: F4I

Thanks! It finally budged. That may have sounded like a stupid question but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming off. The previous owner must have used an impact wrench to put it on. I attached a four foot pole to my breaker bar and jumped up and down on it with one foot while I had someone stand on the other end with another bar to keep it from moving.

Yep WAY WAY to tight..Torque spec is only 69ft lb's..