General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam tensioner tool question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam tensioner tool question

alrightchecked gap on valves and going to need to re-shim , my manual says to make the tool
to loosen cam tensionerbut is there something else i can use to do this?????

Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Default RE: cam tensioner tool question

what kinda of bike? I forget what we used but it was not a special tool on my friends F4i, it was WAY the hell in there though.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 PM

i have an 2000cbr600f4 trying to get ahead of myself checked the first 4 valves 2 are out by .001 so i
know im going to need to re-shim but my manual says to make tool so i dont know if someone used
anything else instead of making one

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey honda f4, I believe you’re referring to the cam chain tensioner stopper tool. Although I’ve not performed this procedure I have read a few articles pertaining to it as I will probably end up at some point replacing mine. The manual does state to use it but I’ve yet to see any tutorial make mention of it, so this leads me to believe it is not crucial to use it. I found this write-up which is essentially the same as any other I’ve read. Here’s the link. Hope this helps & good luck!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 AM

in my clymers book it doesnt say to take the whole unit out it says to take out the one bolt on the end and and use this fabricated
tool to stick thru and turn clockwise what this does is loosen the cam chain so u can take the cam shaft out so i can get to
the valve lifters to replace shims to adjust valves right now there is a couple that are .001 out of speck (too tight) id like to say screw
it and not do it its only .001 but i went this far i mine as well keep going plus when the bike is running it ticks alittle im guessing
because of the valves too tight what do you think??

Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id like to say screw it and not do it its only .001 but i went this far i mine as well keep going plus when the bike is running it ticks a little im guessing because of the valves too tight what do you think??
Another alternative is to replace the CCT altogether, as those are likely to make noise down the line anyways. But you’re right, definitely finish the job and do it correctly ~ .001 might no sound like a lot but I bet I’tll make a big difference on how well your bike runs and how longyour engine will last.
EDIT:
in my clymers book it doesnt say to take the whole unit out it says to take out the one bolt on the end and and use this fabricated tool to stick thru and turn clockwise what this does is loosen the cam chain so u can take the cam shaft out so i can get to the valve lifters
From my understanding, you cannot install a CCT with the shaft fully extended. That is what the stopper tool does; it retractsthe shaftand holds it back. You can however, remove the CCT without this tool. New CCTs come with the tool in it already. If it were me, I’d order a new CCT and scrap the old one. For your model it’s like $40 for a new oem CCT from ronayers.com.