F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Yet another Cam Chain Tensioner Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another Cam Chain Tensioner Question

I have a 2001 600F4i with 8k miles on it. I have been reading all the trouble others are having with cam chain tensioners. As it turns out, my bike makes a buzzing/rattly noise right at 5k RPM. It is seems to happen in any gear. I am suspecting the cam chain tensioner as the culprit. However, the interesting thing is that if I rev the engine to 5k in neutral, it does not make the noise. Anyone have any thoughts as to if this is a cam chain tensioner? Could it be that the CCT only rattles when the engine is under load driving the wheel?

I may put the front tire against the garage wall, put the rear up on the stand and run it to 5k in 1st gear to see if I can isolate where the rattle is coming from. Maybe it is my chain gaurd or fairings. Anyone else have this?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Default RE: Yet another Cam Chain Tensioner Question

ya cam chain tens. get a APE you can get them for 45 bucks of ebay and you will never hear that again

Old 08-14-2005, 08:55 PM

I have an APE CCT installed on my bike and completely worth the money. I spent about 50 for the CCT and about 100 to have it installed. the motor really feels more stable, and the solid tensioner kinda makes a cool noise, kinda makes a constant spooling sound, hard to describe. sounds like a weak turbo thats the best i can explain it. well anyways here a link to buy one http://www.cbrzone.com/sprockets.html

Old 08-16-2005, 03:09 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the info. I am going to attempt to replace the CCT lifter myself. I bought the service book and it doesn't look too difficult. I am still wondering though, if others that had CCT go bad had the rattle only in gear and not in neutral. I find it a little odd that it does not rattle at 5k RPM in neutral, only in gear while moving. Anyonse else have this experience?

Old 08-16-2005, 03:22 PM

Good luck replacing it. I replaced mine and let me tell ya what a pain in the *** that was. I will never do it again. I am not too mechanically inclined though...lol

Old 08-17-2005, 07:40 PM

Well i am just figuring out that mine is bad. and ya, i have the same issue. only does it in gear between 4-6k rpm. i think this is because the tranny is putting stress on the engine, unlike when you are in neutral. Where did you find a manual and how much? this is my first bike, i may try to fix myself, or i may not. i have a post going about this too. email me if you get it done before i do and let me know what to expect. zacbacon@gmail.com Thanks!!

Zac

Old 08-25-2005, 12:19 AM

Hey Zac. I found the service book on ebay. I also found a pdf of it somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it again and let you know. From looking at the book, it shouldn't be too difficult to change the CCT. It just seems like it will take some time to remove everything that is in the way and put it all back when done.

I just stopped by a Honda dealer tonight and had them listen to the bike just to be sure. They said it most likely was the CCT but that it was not bad enough to worry about. It just bothers me that it makes that rattle sound. I also enjoyed looking at the CBR1000RR while I was there. :-)

Old 08-25-2005, 03:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's not very hard to do. it's much easier if you remove the tank though...but why not? you should change the fuel filter anyway.
you can also do it without taking the tank off. you'll need some wobble attachments, extensions, and lots of patience.

i just did mine last weekend. overall, will take less than 3 hours. 2 hours if you're just work on it, but it's good to take breaks.

with the manual one, you'll need to leave the tank on. only problem with it is that if it's too tight, you'll have some seriousl issues. better check that turbo whine sound...it could be too tight.

the rattle will only occur in gear because in neutral, engine has no stress on it.

there are lots of good tutorials on the cbworld forum.

to get the right tension with the manual CCTL, run the bike, start screwing in the tensioner until the sound is gone, then back out until you hear it again. there, stop and then give it 1/4 turn tighter and you're golden.

T

Old 08-25-2005, 08:17 AM

Has this issue been resolved on the later model F4i's? I have an '05, is this CCT thing something that I should be worried about?

Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldn't be but don't be surprised if it pops up. no worries mang...honda will cover it. after 1.5 years i had like 22K on the bike and they covered it cause honda goofed. the new ones, j23, shouldn't do it but it probably still does.

just have a loud exhaust and you're golden.

T

Quick Reply: Yet another Cam Chain Tensioner Question