General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light issue when using front brakes only

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light issue when using front brakes only

Hello all...I got this weird problem and hoping maybe someone might be able to steer me in the right direction to find a solution.

My problem: My brake lights don't light up(running lights ok)when I use the front caliper...however when I depress the rear brake it works just fine.

A lil' history on the bike: '02 f4i...was involved in a low speed frontal crash last year. Got repaired and rode it home. Rode it a couple of times then let it sit for a week, then wouldn't start. Recharged the battery, the bike would turn over but wouldn't fire up. Over Easter weekend I removed my powercommander (under suggestion from someone) and hooked things back to stock and the bike fired up. Just put my new battery in today and going thru my checklist I noticed the above posted problem. All fuses under the seat are good.

Mods: I've got a hotbodies undertail with stock tailights. I installed the provided light relay from hotbodies without problems prior to the accident. The shop did install smaller turn front turn signals which I believe are also normal bulbs, which are on only when I signal; I believe stock they are constantly running (not positive though)

Could the problem be due to the new turn signals? Or maybe something wrong with the new headlights and instrument panel? Other ideas?

Can anyone provide a link to the instructions to the relay that hotbodies provided w/ their kits on their original undertail kit for the '02?

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to cover the bases. Thank you all in advance for your help.

J

Old 04-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Default RE: Brake light issue when using front brakes only

Check the brake light switch located near your maser cylinder on the right clip-on for proper operation to include continuity and sending voltage.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 AM

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

Check the brake light switch located near your maser cylinder on the right clip-on for proper operation to include continuity and sending voltage.
+1 Could be a loose/disconnected/cut wire from the switch on the clip-on, or possibly a damages switch.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:58 AM

those front brake switches go bad from time to time....I've had to replace two out of the last 8 motorcycles I had....

Underside of the brake lever, near the pivot. 1 small screw and two wires...piece-o-cake to change.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I will take a look at the right clip and see what I got going on. BTW- That right clip was replaced after the accident with a USED one by the shop...[>:]hopefully something is just loose and not broken.

Thanks again

Jaysone