General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Did water make it into the engine block?

If you took the pump out of the circuit and it held, then the pump could be leaking. You could remove the pump and unclamp the hoses and watch it leak....or not.

Does the cooler feed hose isolate the cooler? I have a different set up, so I'm unsure of your cooler's routing.
I didn't remove the water pump when I did that test. I had it installed normally and clamped the hoses mentioned above. Added water to the radiator until it reached the top of the rad, then I un-clamped the two smaller hoses one by one still no leak. After I un-clamped the large hose leading to the oil cooler water began to run out of the oil drain bolt.

Below is how the cooler is fed on my bike. Based on what I'm seeing I think the next thing to check is the oil cooler seals, after that a compression test to see about the head gasket.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Hopefully the cooler seals are gone. Anything else is major repair.

The compression test will only show anything if it's leaking into the combustion chamber. That will usually result in a misfire and rough running. With water pouring out like it is, it's probably not in there, as the rings would hold most of it. The only way the head could be at fault would be if it's blown out majorly between the coolant jacket and oil return. With the metal gasket that's in there, that would be pretty hard to do. You hope there isn't casting damage somewhere in the engine block.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:25 AM

The compression test will only show anything if it's leaking into the combustion chamber. That will usually result in a misfire and rough running. With water pouring out like it is, it's probably not in there, as the rings would hold most of it. The only way the head could be at fault would be if it's blown out majorly between the coolant jacket and oil return. With the metal gasket that's in there, that would be pretty hard to do. You hope there isn't casting damage somewhere in the engine block.
Fingers crossed! New cooler seals arrive today, planning to replace them this evening. I'll report back.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idea, of course, is to learn as much about what's going on inside the motor as you can before you have to tear it down.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:43 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoWars
The idea, of course, is to learn as much about what's going on inside the motor as you can before you have to tear it down.
That's a good idea to do if it gets to that point. A cylinder leak down test would be even better....

Old 10-25-2017, 06:42 PM

I pulled the cooler and from what I can tell everything seems fine, seals looked good. I plan to clean everything up and reassemble. One of the passages had a slight oblong, wouldn't think this would cause the issue though?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Got the oil cooler back on tonight, poured nearly half a gallon of water in to the radiator before it started coming out the oil pan drain. I'm sourcing parts to build a leak down test rig, probably do a compression test tomorrow. Not looking good at this point, but I'm in no rush and want to learn. So as long as I don't have to sink too much into it I plan to continue with this thing.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wish you were in CA, I have a leakdown tester that's just been gathering dust.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
Wish you were in CA, I have a leakdown tester that's just been gathering dust.
I wish I were too, starting to get cold here in the midwest.

I just got mine put together though, hoping to do the leakdown test tonight.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:20 PM

Only had time to run a compression test today. Got the results below on a cold dry engine.

cylinder 1 - 170 psi
cylinder 2 - 165 psi
cylinder 3 - 165 psi
cylinder 4 - 165 psi

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket?